Marathon Update


I hurt my foot months ago. I have no idea what happened or what I did.  Probably dropped something on it while cooking and just kept on going.  Somedays it hurts, and somedays it REALLY hurts, and I can’t really remember a day when it didn’t hurt.  It’s not broken.  That’s good news.

However, I was supposed to run a marathon on October.  Not the half, but the full, 26.2 miles. To raise money for wells in Rwanda.  I was excited!  I had to come to the reality that running/walking a foot that hurts all the time is probably not a good idea.  And I can tell you, with tears in my eyes, that I am so sad at all the people I am going to disappoint.  The people I signed up with, the orphans…  the list is long!

One person in my family asked me ‘what happened to your foot?’ when I started to tell them, the roofer showed up and they never asked again.  I think one friend was more concerned that I wouldn’t be able to raise money than what was wrong with me.  Maybe nobody cares, which I think is totally possible, people have their own worries. I spent 5 hours pretty much on my feet the other day for work, and the next day my foot was pretty swollen and I tried to keep it up as much as possible. I wonder if I couldn’t just stand on my feet how could I possible run/walk 26.2 miles?  I try not to let it slow me down, just developed a gait to work around my new found handicap. 

I am hoping that in April I’ll be able to do the Full at the Martian Marathon.  It gives me a little bit longer to train, work on my core and my mental stance, though I feel like I already paid for the Detroit Marathon, should I just try?  If I fail, and they have to cut my foot off, or more likely end up on crutches, I guess people will know I wasn’t kidding when I said my foot was hurting.

Oh I don’t know what to do…  I am not one to give up…

Phil 3:13-14 Brothers and sisters, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, 14 I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

Comments