More on worship

Image from here

So this may seem so silly… but the other day someone referred to music as worship.  It’s true, music is one way that we worship, but I really think that worship should be the way we live.  I believe we should offer our lives as worship.  But then, I decided I wanted to really look it up, cut it apart.  So I pulled out my concordence (I’ve used it more in the last week then… EVER!) So I looked up worship as it was written ‘back in the day’ whether it was Hebrew or Greek.

So in the Psalms, worship means:
In homage to God, bow, self bow, bow down, crouch, fall down, fall flat, humbly, beseech, do obeisance, make obeisance, do reverence, make to stoop

In case you don’t know what obeisance is (I didn’t) so I looked it up:

noun
1.a movement of the body expressing deep respect ordeferential courtesy, as before a superior; a bow, curtsy, orother similar gesture.
2.deference or homage: The nobles gave obeisance to the newking.


However, in Luke 14:10 (I trust my Strong’s Concordance) it says worship refers to:
Glory, dignity, glorious, honor, praise
In Acts 7:42 it says worship means: to serve, do the service,
In Acts 17:21 show piety (and in case you don’t know what that means- I looked that up too because I wanted to understand if I wasn’t sure, then it wasn’t clear, and that means I didn’t understand.)
Piety
1.reverence for God or devout fulfillment of religiousobligations: a prayer full of piety.
2.the quality or state of being pious: saintly piety.
3.dutiful respect or regard for parents, homeland, etc.: filialpiety.
4.a pious act, remark, belief, or the like: the pieties andsacrifices of an austere life.

So then I started thinking about the differences in OT & NT.  I tell you that I’m not that smart… but I came to the conclusion that the difference probably had something to do with who God was in their life. 

I have thought of God as many different things in my life.  I feared Him, I’ve loved Him, I’ve served Him, He’s been Lord in my life, Savior, Counselor.  He’s so many things.  Holy, set apart! 

I don’t know if I got my answer LOL but at least I am informed.  And listened as God spoke to me… 

May we never stop worshipping until the world is full of His glory!

Romans 12:1 Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God—this is your true and proper worship.






Comments