Floods and Bible reading

This the exact spot I turned away from, just earlier in the day!
Yesterday, if you were in this part of the country… it was raining and raining and RAINING! So much so that it closed Southfield (a local freeway). If you didn’t know this about me, I am severely scared of driving through water. I’ve never been stuck, but I’ve had a few times when I’ve said “I’ll never take that chance again” and I don’t.

Last night after I was coming home from JoAnn Fabrics I took outer drive home. Not usually any problems, HOWEVER, last night the underpass was flooded, and I tried to turn down a street, that wasn’t actually a street, but an entrance to a building (I was panicking, what can I say) so I decided that I was NOT going to go through that water, there was already one car stuck and I was not going to be the second, and even if I didn’t get stuck, it is not good for your brakes to go through that, or my carpet in my car could have gotten ruined if the water came through the door. No thank you!

So what did I do… I decided to be the trendsetter (almost every car followed my lead) and go north on the southbound side (don’t know what direction I was actually going because Outer Drive winds around so much).

I tell you, there is a lesson in this. If you see a mess. Don’t try to go through it. Going back to a safer route may be a little rough for a minute, people may scoff at you, may give you the finger (this happened to me yesterday), but just go in the right direction, God guides our path, just smile, wave, and hopefully people will follow you to higher ground.

As for my reading this morning… Luke 2:1-20

I’ve read it a million (ok 50) times, I can probably recite parts of it…

1 In those days Caesar Augustus issued a decree that a census should be taken of the entire Roman world. 2 (This was the first census that took place while[a] Quirinius was governor of Syria.) 3 And everyone went to their own town to register.
4 So Joseph also went up from the town of Nazareth in Galilee to Judea, to Bethlehem the town of David, because he belonged to the house and line of David. 5 He went there to register with Mary, who was pledged to be married to him and was expecting a child. 6 While they were there, the time came for the baby to be born, 7 and she gave birth to her firstborn, a son. She wrapped him in cloths and placed him in a manger, because there was no guest room available for them.
8 And there were shepherds living out in the fields nearby, keeping watch over their flocks at night. 9 An angel of the Lord appeared to them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them, and they were terrified. 10 But the angel said to them, “Do not be afraid. I bring you good news that will cause great joy for all the people. 11 Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is the Messiah, the Lord. 12 This will be a sign to you: You will find a baby wrapped in cloths and lying in a manger.”
13 Suddenly a great company of the heavenly host appeared with the angel, praising God and saying,
14 “Glory to God in the highest heaven,
and on earth peace to those on whom his favor rests.”
15 When the angels had left them and gone into heaven, the shepherds said to one another, “Let’s go to Bethlehem and see this thing that has happened, which the Lord has told us about.”
16 So they hurried off and found Mary and Joseph, and the baby, who was lying in the manger. 17 When they had seen him, they spread the word concerning what had been told them about this child, 18 and all who heard it were amazed at what the shepherds said to them. 19 But Mary treasured up all these things and pondered them in her heart. 20 The shepherds returned, glorifying and praising God for all the things they had heard and seen, which were just as they had been told.


There were a couple things that stood out to me this morning…
Do not be afraid. I bring you good news that will cause great joy for all the people. v10
Good news that will cause great joy for all the people. Not some of the people. Not a couple of the people. Not whether you are rich or poor. Doesn’t matter. He came to be bring us great joy! Doesn’t that make your heart sing with gladness!! God doesn’t always change our circumstances, but it is up to us to change our hearts, and worship Him! Again… we live by faith not by feelings!!!!

But Mary treasured up all these things and pondered them in her heart v19
In the midst of all that was going on, it is noted that Mary treasured up everything and pondered them in her heart. If Mary was one of those crazy people who writes all the things she is thankful for on her facebook (e-em) couldn’t you just see her blowing it up? Her heart must have been overflowing!!! She was the vessel that God used to bring JESUS! Light of the World! Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace (Isa 9:6). What a blessing to bring the King!

It makes me think, how many times I have the opportunity to bring Jesus to people, maybe not in the way that Mary did, but I do have the opportunity. But I have to remember to get out of the way! Let Him do the talking! Let Him do the loving! Let Him!

Comments

Trish said…
Wise woman..God directs our paths!