Lessons in K-zoo

I've been blessed to help my Aunt Jan pack up some of her house this week.  It's been a crazy four months for her, and I had a 'free' weekend and I know she needed some help.  My dad gave me 'the bus' to drive which is his (what seems like very) extended van, without the seats in the back and we filled it full of her Christmas stuff to put in her new home.  We also packed beatiful tea cups and crystal, and cleaned out part of my Uncle Vinnie's office.

It's the quiet of the morning, it's me & Pumpkin (the dog) I've just gotten out of the shower and giving my hair a little time to air dry before I blast it with the blow drier.

I've learned a few lessons here.  I'd like to share them with you...

Cable.  I'm wondering the need for it.  I think there may be a reason they call it the 'idiot box'.  No, I'm not getting rid of my TV (let's not get crazy people) but I'm thinking once Phyllis goes off to college, I may cancel the cable.  I can watch almost anything online.  Hulu, Huluplus, hooking your laptop to the TV and watching via internet stream, and you can buy almost any series you like on DVD.  Instead of watching TV and wasting time, we got things done, and read.  Oh there's a concept for you... reading...  I'm not sure, but I'm thinking so...  I am going to start checking how much things cost... and track what we watch, how much we watch out of boredom...etc

Things in your house don't have to matchy-matchy.  I love my Aunt Jan's house, it's beautiful.  I am always intimidated that my house isn't a Better Homes and Gardenes, it is matched because it is all intertwined with things I love.  Every room is beautifully decorated in Aunt Jan's house, filled with old and new, from near and afar...  I love it.  The things in our life that surround us are beautiful, but it is not the things that make our lives beautiful, it is us.

It's just stuff.  I am a collector of stuff. For 'somedays' but most of the time I end up donating the stuff because someone else has a need.  But really it's just stuff.  Don't hold on to it, especially if you know there is a need.  People just end up throwing it away, donating it, or selling it at a garage sale. AND especially, if you want someone to have something, give it to them while you are alive. Tell them why, and for sure tell people you love them!!  That's way more important than stuff anyway.

Tell people you love them.  It's so important but don't just tell them.  Show them.  Call them.  Have dinner, have coffee.  Make time.  I've said this SO many times, I HATE when people tell me they want to hang out or 'we should get together'.  Pick a date.  Even if your calender is full right now, pick a date a month out, sometimes things happen and it has to change (don't be mad or upset - just pick a new date).  Time goes by...  I have a 5th Saturday friend, and my beautiful friend Sheila and I meet once a month to catch up and encourage each other.  Otherwise a year goes by... and no time together. 

Do love.  Let nothing stop you.  I think that so many times we get so wrapped up in ourselves that we don't help others.  Near or Far.  I'm reading Ashley Judd's book All that is Bitter and Sweet.  (You can get it on the Kindle, Nook, and pre-order the paperback, might even be available in the library or a store).  I'm not nearly through it, but it's not what you think, sure there are stories of her times in acting, and her up-bringing, but a lot of it (the parts I've most enjoyed) is about doing something about social injustice.  Amazing. I know that I am called to something far greater than myself. Clean water, helping others.  Serving others, encouraging, loving.  It's very inspiring.  I have to tell you this, the other day someone asked me why I serve in Detroit, "do you think they really want help? if they wanted help, they'd get some" was basically what they said, and nervously, I said "Do you really want to know why?" (yes I was nervous, I have no idea why I was nervous), I said because I believe what the bible says and it says "whatever you do for the least of these, you do for Me and I believe that maybe I can change one life just by loving someone in the name of Jesus, it's worth it." It's not about me.  Life if about love.

I am sure more will come in this time in the car on my way home, in the quietness where God whispers to my heart.

Micah 6:8 (I know I post this one a lot, but it's one of my faves, it's a life verse for me)
He has shown you, O mortal, what is good.

And what does the LORD require of you?
To act justly and to love mercy
and to walk humbly[a] with your God.

Comments

Trish said…
Well, Miss Margie...I have had the same thoughts about cable! Imagine that we pay to sit and flip and flip and flip...to find nothing but a bunch of junk! I swear, even some commercials nowadays are gross.
And things are just that...things. In my old age I am not trying to impress or keep up with the Jones's. Just want Jesus to say "Well done."
Now, that's what matters.
I love you!