Phyllis and I love stuffed cabbage. I got this recipe from my friend Sara. The main reason why I am typing it here (and putting in my adaptions is so I can find it easier). I never made stuffed cabbage until I read her recipe.
2 lb ground turkey
1 2/3 cups or so of rice (still I eyeball it)
1 med onion2 eggs
2 large heads of cabbage
2 small cans tomato paste
1/2 ring of smoked sausage (I use Dearborn Keilbasa)
The day/night before
1. Core head of cabbage, cover with water in a large pot and bring to boil.
2. As leaves soften and loosen, gently detach from head and allow to boil a for a few minutes then remove to cool.
3. After cooling, remove the large center vein from the individual leaves (leafs?) by gently running a knife along the top of the leaf from the top to the base.
The next day:
4. Mix turkey, egg, rice, salt, pepper together.
5. Form meat mixture into a roughly egg-shape of the size proportionate to your leaf.
6. shlep the meat into the cabbage leaf. Mine look perfectly imperfect and are all different sizes!
7. Mix tomato paste and water. so its very watery. Remember, all the rice is going to suck up all the 'juice'.
8. Pour the tomato paste mixture over cabbage. Then put the sausage on top.
9. Bake at 350 for about an hour or so depending on how much your making and check to see how done your stuffed cabbage is. I like to reduce to 300 and bake for a few hours longer.
Thankful for friends who can make yummy stuff and I can use their recipes!