Helping the Homeless?

The question mark isn't to determine whether you are helping the homeless, it is more to determine if the people you are helping are homeless.


I have no idea why it drives me so crazy about 'fake homeless people' HOWEVER if you know me, you know I could rant on this for HOURS!  I get the whole 'least of these' (Matt 25:31-46) part in the bible, trust me I get it, but I don't believe that God wants us to be foolish.  There are so many fake homeless peeps.  Yesterday (which is why I am ranting) I saw one of the ones I sometimes drive by in an establishment and he whipped out a big fat wad of cash.  And by establishment I do not mean homeless shelter.  Another guy pulled away in his mercedes after sitting outside of the establishment asking for money.


There is one guy on 75 near cass that I am quite sure he just owns a wheelchair so people will feel sorry for him.  There is another guy near Mack & 75 who has dreads who one time asked me fro $10!  ohmyword!  not change, or a dollar, $10!!  so you know what I said?  You've got a better chance of winning the lottery than getting money from me!  Maybe not my finest hour.  One woman who had a 'help the homeless' sign by my work I said to her 'you know it's against the law to accept money under false pretenses" and now... she's gone.  Again, I don't know why it drives me so crazy... but it does!  And I feel like I have a decent giving spirit!


My whole point is that I'd like to educate you on the fake homeless.


  • Check their shoes.  A lot of them have good shoes.  It's like a job interview, the first place people look is the shoes.
  • They are probably dirty if they are really homeless.
  • Yellow eyes.  Lack of nutrition
  • They will have a lot of stuff with them.  Homeless people don't have a place to leave all their stuff, they take it with them.
  • And typically they give you those puppy dog eyes...  they are just playing on your emotions.


My point really is this.  There are a lot of organizations that really do a wonderful job of helping people, getting people who really might think they have no hope, hope (Grace Centers of Hope, Detroit Rescue Mission, ARK Ministries, Focus Hope, Hope Works, many local churches - Military Ave - and many more!). Children, they need safe, clean parks.  They need organizations that love them, and teach them, and believe in them!  Places like Gleaners that have backpack programs to send them home with food on the weekends!  The Science Center, the Aquarium, places where they can LEARN!  Do you know that there are countries that don't have clean water (you may have heard this before!)?


 I understand the compassion of some to want to help, but let's not be foolish!


Proverbs 13:16 All who are prudent act with knowledge, but fools expose their folly.


Comments

Mrs. Mac said…
Living with a law officer for the past 31 years .. I've gotten to know the patterns of the non-homeless quite well. If we felt led, and we're in town, we'd tell them walk around the corner (or cross the street) and we'd buy them a meal at McDonalds. Never give cash. Have a few hand out cards with the local charity houses .. but don't give cash .. it usually funds drugs and or alcohol.