Gifts


Did you know that I can’t sing?  Mrs. Kane (Phyllis’ music teacher) says if you can talk you can sing.  She’s wrong.  I can’t sing. That whole joyful noise in the Bible, (Psalm 100:1 KJV) that’s me.  Which just seems wrong as two left feet because I LOVE to sing and often have a song in my head.

I have often asked God why I can’t sing.  It didn’t seem fair to me.  Why did You give me a song in my heart and no way to deliver it.

One day in my kitchen, singing… I asked again.  And God said, don’t you understand, I gave you one of the greatest gifts of all.  Everyone must eat.  Huh.  Never thought about it that way.  One of my favorite quotes by Mother Teresa “if you can’t feed 100, than just feed one”. It’s profound on so many levels. 

As peeps we always see big things and want to do those.  But we must be faithful in the small things… (Luke 16:10 Luke 16:10 - "If you are faithful in little things, you will be faithful in large ones. But if you are dishonest in little things, you won't be honest with greater responsibilities." NLT)  Feed one.  Help one.  Love one.  Lead one.

It completely changed my attitude about my gift.  While I always enjoyed cooking, it has always been a form of worship to me, feeding others, often you might find me dancing around my kitchen, no music on, both arms raised, worshipping.  And sometimes there is music other than what’s in my heart.

God has given each one of us gifts.  It sometimes takes time and an open heart to discover them and completely embrace them.  There is no one else to give the credit to my cooking and baking, but to God. 

I’m so thankful.  I could just sing! 
Proverbs 31:15  She gets up while it is still night; she provides food for her family and portions for her female servants

Comments

Deb said…
You have NO idea how much this post blessed me! You are amazing...and YES, most definitely the Lord has gifted you with an amazing ability and LOVE of cooking and serving others! :)
Deb said…
P.S. I will NEVER, as long as I live forget, "I've got grapes!" ;)