He's my portion

What if God truly was our portion? What if I looked to Him for everything? It’s something that God is really speaking to me about.


I’ve been thinking about what those guys said about Detroit, and praying for Detroit. I’ve been thinking about the cause and effect of our actions to the city, and what I’ve done to myself, and what has driven us to where we are.

I think one contributing factor is greed.

I think about the hand outs we give instead of the hand ups. We give out welfare not considering the long term welfare of the people who receive the money. What if we taught them how to do more than just survive but to really thrive?

What does that look like? I don’t really know. But I really do think it starts with loving the ‘we’ more than the ‘me’.

We rush and rush and we work and work in order to provide for ourselves. However, we don’t really provide for ourselves, God is our provider. He is our portion. Because we work long hours we have to have 24 hour EVERYTHING. We expect our grocery stores and coffee shops to be open on Holidays. MORE MORE MORE has left us with less less less.

Less time to help. Less time with our families. Declining health.

Greed. The art of wanting and having more than we deserve, and expecting more and more of it.

We have bigger houses but we spend less time together. (I have no facts on this but it seems to be an observance).

We work hard and a lot for our families, that we never see and try to avoid because our children are undisciplined and our wives/husbands are crabby. When truly, if we spent more time loving each other maybe those things would be ‘fixed’.

We have kids/teens who demand ‘respect’ when really all they want is attention and love.

We give money because we don’t have time to invest.

How do we fix all of that? JESUS!

Before we can help anyone else in His name, we have to let Him change us!

He brings hope to the hopeless. Rest to the weary. Love to the broken-hearted. (I think that’s a song) He has done that for me! He can do it for everyone!

I’m a 100mph kind of gal. There is no doubt about it. But I’ve not only learned to direct by path towards Him –I’ve learned to walk in His path, and I’ve also learned to say no (I know you don’t really believe me). I’m thankful to say that I’ve learned… It’s only money, God always sends more as I give it away. Pastor Chilly says “I don’t want to be caught sleeping when Jesus comes back”. ME EITHER!

This I know, and I believe it because I’ve lived it. God is my portion. Whatever He has for me, it’s enough. And wherever He leads, He supplies. It might not always be easy to accept what He has for me, but I know it’s best. I’ve learned that when my wanter gets turned up (I’m still waiting to get that Nook Tablet!) it’s best to sit and be still and hear what He has what’s best for me.

I am not sure of my role in the city. But I know this… if I'm not part of the solution, I just may be part of the problem. Whether my role is to sell cupcakes to provide funds for adventures, or maybe to open a bakery myself and teach someone ‘mad skills’, maybe it’s to become a principal, maybe it’s to tutor, or mentor, or provide crayons, or… maybe it’s to stay right where I am and follow His lead, maybe it’s to love what the world says is unlovable. Whatever He says… that’s where I’ll go. He’s my deliverer, my Savior, my Lord, He is my peace, my joy, my Love, He is my everything! Where He says go, I’ll go. He’s my portion, and more than enough for me!

Phil 3:13-14 Brothers and sisters, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, 14 I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

Comments

Jada's Gigi said…
Beautiful post, sister! He is Enough!
Felisol said…
I heard Paul during reading your post. Eph 1:22 "And God placed all things under his feet and appointed him to be head over everything for the church, 23 which is his body, the fullness of him who fills everything in every way."

Fullness of him who fills everything in every way.
That should be enough for all of us.