I love Detroit!


I was talking to two gentleman today in one of my very favorite Detroit places.  They seemed to recognize that I’d been there a time or two.  They told me it was their first time.  They then told me that they weren’t from here.  I told them I loved the city.  It was a pretty long conversation about other major cities, how ours has sports… and that’s it.  :/

They hadn’t been here in quite a few years (like 10) and they said it hadn’t changed much, but they only see it for a few brief days at a time.  They asked me if I lived in the city.  “I WISH!” was my reply.

This really is Detroit Light
It's a lighthouse just south of
Detroit on the Detroit River
They also asked me why I thought the city was dead.  Ok, it’s really hard for me NOT to come unglued. Especially when people comment on my facebook “when the last person leaves, please turn out the lights” (cierra la boca)…  Because they city never died.  Why do I think it’s the way it is? 

Well, there are some parts that are scary.  If I’m nervous about driving in an area… you should be too, but I think of John 1:5 (NLT) The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness can never extinguish it.  Those places may be scary but darkness can never overcome light.  You should hear me praying through those parts… and I admit, there are parts that I’m praying “please Jesus, keep me safebut I also pray for the lives in the areas I am in.

There are some who have let sin overtake their lives. They traded integrity and good character for money and power. But there are many who love the city, who walk with Jesus, who bring life, in serving and smiles.  A city on a hill cannot be hidden. We do not cover light, we shine it!  (Matthew 5:14-15)

There are some who have chosen “me” or “we” but there are plenty more who are the heartbeat of the city, who bring life, and hope, and love to the city. There are those who do good, there are employers, and workers, and people who love and serve God with all their heart. 

Yes, I know, there are many abandoned buildings, I know a lot of things have happened in this city. 

Our view, is what we choose.  I choose to see beautiful faces.  I choose to see life. I choose to see hope.  I choose to make a difference for Love. I don’t want to be someone who come to Detroit because it’s the cool thing to do, I’ve loved this city for as long as I can remember.  I know Jesus is here!  I know that no matter what decisions are made on some levels, He is here!  He is greater than anything or anyone!

I really do think that I made an impression on those gentleman that I met, I think that they met someone who loves the city and told them about it, not in a fake way, but with a real genuine love that can only be delivered in love.

I love Detroit.  There will be no turning out of the lights… 

Matthew 5:14-16 14 “You are the light of the world—like a city on a hilltop that cannot be hidden. 15 No one lights a lamp and then puts it under a basket. Instead, a lamp is placed on a stand, where it gives light to everyone in the house. 16 In the same way, let your good deeds shine out for all to see, so that everyone will praise your heavenly Father.

Remind me again, why don’t I live IN the city? Someday, when the time is right.

Comments

Netta said…
Obviously, I totally agree! As long as people who love Jesus live in the D there will always be hope! And yeah, why don't you live here again? :)