Planning ahead for success

So yesterday I found out that chicken (if not free range/organic) is washed with ammonia to kill all the bacteria...  ugh :/

I freaked out a few months back about food and organic and blah blah.  I calmed down a bit and slide back into just "doing the best I could" which really meant that when it was convenient, I bought organic.  I have to say that I have not purchased grapes or blueberries unless they were organic since the whole mess started. Thinking about "bud kill" has made me rethink buying potatoes... for a minute, but it's serious and what I am putting in my body (and Phyllis's) matters.

I am thinking (seriously) about buying a side of beef, half a pig, and I wonder if I can buy chickens?  Of course letting someone else butcher them.

I'm trying to decide what to plant in my garden.  It seems like such a big decision... Cucumbers, tomatoes, zucchini, spinach, green beans, lots of herbs (is it possible to make like pastes with the herbs and freeze them in ice cube trays and use them in the winter?).

I did buy that pressure cooker, i need to can some beans.  I need to figure out how to slow my life down a little.

I am going to use up what I have in the pantry and freezer.  but slowly start replacing it with organic.

Going to start investigating, slowly eliminating the yuck in our diets but not being so crazy that if I go to someone's house who hasn't made the same decision that I will snub their food.

Time to get serious while still being practical.  Going to start here

Also going to start changing out chemicals and soaps over...  but not going hog wild.  Just going to start weeding stuff out. Out with the old, in with the new...

Anyone downriver interested in starting a co-op, we could get some discounts with door to door organics  we need 4 families.





Comments

Felisol said…
Oh, Margie, if I were there I' d do the co-op thing with you, that's for sure. The only sensible thing to do.
Since I'm living on the far side of the sea, that is not possible.
I also think the chicken project sounds great.
When I grew up every other household had their own tiny hen shed. This was shortly after the war and people were encouraged to contribute to become self supplied.
When my mother could butcher a hen for dinner, I guess anyone can do it.
The problem is, we've got so distant from the roots of the food, that we'll rather buy "factory" food.
I wish you luck and I try to do my best where I live.