I think I'm giving up!

My debit card... that is.

I've always been a cash/check kind of gal.  Within the last year or so (maybe it's been two now, I don't know) I got a debit card.  And to tell you the truth, it's been nothing but a pain in my butt! 

I've had one stolen.  Drained the account, thankfully it is not my main banking, it has always been just an extra account that I created if I needed to use it. (Airline tickets, Door to Door Organics, on-line shopping)

In the last week, it has been declined in two very inconvenient moments. The first, buying tickets for two cuties to go on the carousel, thankfully I had money in the car!  What would I have said to those boys, its not like you can talk to someone at 7PM at night and really get it straightened out...  There WAS money in my account.

Last night, which was the most embarrassing, it was declined while I was buying coffee.  The problem?  someone got ahold of my number and decided to go shopping on my dime.  I like to shop, I like to give, but I'm not ok with someone deciding that I should be generous!  Again, thankfully, I had cash. But it was super embarrassing!

Of course, this can all be fixed, but it's annoying, and embarrassing.

I have not had an actual credit card in years, probably a good decade!  I've paid by cash and check for a really long time!  I can use my checking account on Amazon, which is where I buy the most on-line stuff, there is also paypal :) 

Currently, usually on the weekend, I take out a certain amount of cash, and when it's gone, it's gone.  Somehow having actual money in my hand makes me more wise about spending it (or at least I think about it more).  Also, a lot of times, if I use my debit card, gas is $.10 more a gallon. 

23 gallons (fill up for my mini-van) X $.10 = $2.30. 
6-8 fill ups a month - $13.80 - 18.40/month
72 - 96 a year - $165.60 - $220.80/year

That's a lot of money in itself!!!

I could sponsor a child for 4 - almost 6 months with just that '$.10'!!!  it can also give water to 165-220 Africans for a year! crazy how little things add up!

 Somehow before the debit card, I paid cash for gas!  how about that?!

I am so thankful that even in things like being embarrassed over a declined debit card, God continues to breathe His wisdom into me!

So I think I am just be giving up that stupid debit card.  I will put it in a safe place (albiet inconvenient) and if i need it to buy airline tickets or something, I can find it and use it (and put it back).

Titus 1:7-9 For an overseer, as God's steward, must be above reproach. He must not be arrogant or quick-tempered or a drunkard or violent or greedy for gain, but hospitable, a lover of good, self-controlled, upright, holy, and disciplined. He must hold firm to the trustworthy word as taught, so that he may be able to give instruction in sound doctrine and also to rebuke those who contradict it.






Comments

Deb said…
Hmmmm....I don't know if I could give up my debit card. I rarely carry cash anymore. And fortunately, I have not had the experience of anyone stealing my number - except once - and they were stopped when they tried to spend $423 in Florida - my bank declined it! Of course - then they also declined my purchases at the store where we were shopping in Erie. That was a pain. Fortunately, I had the checkbook!