A Review


I admittedly don’t go to much local theatre, though I wish I had a seat reserved at the Fisher Theater and always dream of having season passes.  I do see quite a few shows every year. 

My favorite place to see a musical or a ‘straight show’?  AKT Theatre. 

Another thing I’d like to openly admit, I know nothing technical about theatre.  I know that actors/actresses have to eat, so I try to feed them during TECH Week.

I just got home from Spring Awakening that ran for the last 3 weeks or so, and my biggest regret is that I only went to see it once.  I’ve seen Spring Awakening at the Fisher, and let me tell you, this was better. 

I don’t think I’ve missed a production since The Last Five Years. 

Like I said, I don’t know much about theatre, technically speaking.  But what I do know is how I feel when I am at an AKT Theatre Production.

During the Last Five Years I wanted to hug the female lead, once I started crying from the heartbreak, I just couldn’t stop.

Watching Charlie Brown come to life made me want to get up and dance with Snoopy. 

 During a Christmas Carol I wanted to remember the good and bad of my life, and change the bad and celebrate the good.

Edges. Oh Edges.  The songs of our lives.  I laughed, I cried, I still listen to the songs Youtube.  I saw it 3 or 4 times, and I could see it a million more.  The song below Phyllis told me that it reminded her of me.  Needless to say I cried through it EVERY time I saw it sung by Aaron.  And I cry sometimes when I hear it even now.

I even go to the student productions, they are quality, and seeing the work that the students put into their productions is amazing.

Children of Eden was SOOOO good!!  The book of Genesis brought to life.

And the Christmas show in 2011, HIL-AR-IOUS!  Sometimes you’ve just seen enough of the same old same old.

And let’s not forget ‘Cabaret’ fundraisers.  Hope they are having it this year too!

This year’s spring production was, as I’ve said, amazing.

I know I tell you about the gems of Detroit, but this gem.  It opens your heart, you bounce to the music, you feel the laughter and the tears.  You see that everything from the actors to the stage productions, the music, the sound, the lights.  You don’t just see it, you feel it!

I could go on and on, but until you feel it for yourself, my words mean nothing.  

Comments