A day of remembrance

I was walking out of a meeting and my friend Lynne ran up to me and said “they just crashed into the WTC” and honestly didn’t think much about it because I don’t really pay that much attention to the news. I thought it was a fluke or something.


That is a terrible habit or non-habit of mine. I still don’t watch the news. Most of the time I have no idea what’s going on in the world, and to be honest, I kind of like it that way. I have enough to worry about without seeing all the craziness of the world. Though it does seem like whenever I watch the news, it’s for a reason.

They sent us home from work that day. No one would have worked anyway, but there was a thought that we (our area) would be a target due to the water ways. I don’t know about all that. I just remember the pictures, but more importantly it reminds me of heroes.

Everyday heroes who step up when needed. And I think each one of us has the ability to be a hero. It’s just a matter of looking around.

I think of the Pastors of the churches I attend, yes, I attend more than one. I belong to Metro, I also attend with my daughter an amazing church in Detroit! I am so blessed by those heroes who lead. They have great vision that they and their families live out every day. Sometimes to be fed and sometimes to feed. I think of these Pastors and their staff who sacrifice so much so that people can be saved. So they will LIVE! To be fully devoted followers of Christ. I think of the absolute best Youth Pastor EVER (seriously, Adam is THE best youth pastor ever!) who give their lives for Jesus and for teenagers all over downriver, and how he does whatever he can for his staff to help us be better, mostly, it’s showing us how to live.

Or the teachers in our area, who people say “make too much money”. Really, a starting teacher doesn’t make that much… I am not sure of the salary, but I’m guessing it’s about $30,000. Really, $15/hour, and don’t give me that crap about only working 9 months because they work many hours outside of the classroom… We’d rather let people on welfare smoke and have cell phones even when they have the ability to work! (but that’s a whole ‘nother blog – because this single mom worked 4 jobs went to school, and while I did have help from my dad, no child support). That’s the amount of money we think that is acceptable to educate our children, our future? Plan a lunch for your kids teacher, send Jimmy John’s, drop off coffee and bagels, do something… they are everyday heroes.

I think about parents who really do give it their all, who sacrifice. Being a good parent is not easy. It’s just not. Sleepless nights, countless hours working (whether it is in or outside the home).

The people of Metro. The everyday people who just “show up” and give their lives to make our church a place that lives hope, faith, and love. Whether they clean the bathrooms, work in the office making phone calls, make copies, make food for those who serve, love muffins, love Jr. Highers, High schoolers, women, and men. The people who hand out programs and make people feel welcome. To the people who connect people to ministries, those who pray. The people who built our building… those who… you are not forgotten, your time, your love, and your sacrifice do not go unnoticed. You are important, and YOU are a hero.

I think about the friends in my life who love me. Who speak love into me. The people who just talk me through my tears. And help me to remember to laugh when I want to cry. They remind me that love is still here, even when it’s hard to feel. Those who hold us when we cry, and tell us that we are beautiful, and when they look into our eyes, they help us to see what God sees. Those who love us far more than we deserve, even when the circumstances are not the way we’d like them.

Let us not forget 9-11, let us not forget the heroes who protect us in the armed forces, those who watch our borders, those who protect our streets. Tell them; show them, they are true heroes.

Don’t forget the heroes in our everyday lives. Tell them; show them, they are heroes in our lives. Don’t let a day of remembrance to be the only day we remember them.

Comments