Kids these days

It’s never a dull moment in my life… I pull into Starbucks to get dinner, yes, dinner. It’s an easily trackable item… I pull out and these 4 kids go riding past me on their bikes, and when I say “Kids” I am thinking they were the ages of 8-11. And I KNOW! What were they doing riding down Southfield!?!!?!?!?!?!?


The youngest of the kids gives me the finger. Yes, that’s right, gives me the finger, and I am pretty sure he wasn’t saying I was number one! So, thankfully for him, I am in a pretty harmless mood, but I did decide to give them a little scare! I pulled out and cut them off at the street… and I got out of my car and yelled at them. Who did they think they were giving me the finger?! Seriously, I let them go! The youngest one almost cried!

I’d say “kids these days” but I am wondering where their parents are! That is just too little to be riding their bikes down Southfield. And I feel bad for some parents who work a lot just to make ends meet, but isn’t that where as “a village” we step in and we set a couple extra plates at the table? Isn’t that where we love those kids who need help and show the real love of Jesus? I know it’s hard and I know we are all busy, but we can’t live our lives when it’s too late saying “if only I had…”

I’m in love with kids. Mostly high schoolers but I seem to be a little enamored with the Jr. Higher variety too! I found myself in the back of Fuel today praying for those loveable, yet stinky kids, I found myself talking to them, loving them, just listening. I am not sure always where I am supposed to be, but when I am around all those kids, it feels like… home.

I’m so blessed to get to love those kids!!  The kids "these days", I really do love them!

1 John 4:19  We love because he first loved us.

Comments

Anonymous said…
stinky is right. the first time i walked into the venue i thought it smelled like a mixture of B.O. and Doritos.
-Beverly
Anonymous said…
Thats funny I would have been the kid giving you the finger , but on my own recognince. Good for you for stopping.