Life is simple... A lesson in a childhood game

When I was a kid we would take these vacations on our boat. In July, the week after 4th of July, we would go to cedar point and put in bay (our trip "south") and in August we would go "north". We would go a number of different cities. 
I'm lucky because I have so many great memories of going on those vacations although going north wasn't always my favorite because of course as a child I liked the trip to cedar point and tooling around put-in-bay. 
Every year I would go shopping with the women I am sure I was bored but I don't remember ever being. I loved being with them. They were all like moms to me:) for a girl who grew up without a mom it was quite a blessing to have all of them. 
One year in particular we went shopping and I got a pack of jacks. I don't even know what made me want to buy them because I didn't even know how to play them. I have this feeling that it was a combo back, had one of those paddles with a super ball stapled to it. 
At some point I learned how to play jacks. I remember that year everyone pretty much played jacks with me. I loved playing jacks. 
Things were simpler when I was a kid. Playing jacks and people I loved playing too. Spending time with people we love and sometimes life is simple. 
These days out lives seem so busy and so crazy. We keep our kids occupied instead spending time with them. These days we have apps back then it was jacks. 
I think about how crazy my life is now. I think about because of hurt I've put up walls. But I think it's time to go back to simple.
Love is simple. 
It is only when the pain that others have inflicted upon us and our guard goes up, is love anything but simple. This past summer has been incredibly filled with love. All around the world.  And while it might seem that it wasn't difficult to let love in, it was.  Because sometimes in letting love in, we have to do things like say good-bye (in Haiti and El Salvador), but it was worth it.
No matter what happens or what has happened in the past.
I will never be sorry I loved. 
Love is simple. 

Comments

Mrs. Mac said…
I 'read' hurt all over this post. Sending you a big ole hug!