Perfectly Imperfect Christmas



I know I said I wasn’t going to decorate and I wasn’t going to put up a tree. Well, that was the darkness talking… and I’m living in the light. Praise the Lord!  And I know a bunch of you are breathing a sigh of relief.

I have a beautiful pre-lit tree that my friends gave me last year but I decided I didn’t want a huge tree. So I went to Target and bought a very small, and Charlie-Brownesque tree. And somehow it seems perfect this year. It fits in the living room without moving furniture, and it holds just the right amount of ornaments.

I must tell you that I have enough ornaments to decorate a large tree and possibly another medium size tree. You know me, I don’t do anything half way, and I’ve always gotten us ornaments from trips we’ve taken, even if it’s a weekend getaway to Indy to see a friend (got one from the zoo this year). This year, I strategically picked the ornaments on the tree. I picked out all the Mother/Daughter ornaments and discovered while pulling Phyllis’s ornament with her name on it (the ball kind from Frankenmuth), that I don’t have one of those and I think I will be ordering myself one (a red one OF COURSE!).

I picked out (and hung first) the ornament from the year that she was diagnosed with JRA of a snowman with a little mouse doctor (Wednesday it is 15 years since she’s been diagnosed, God is good! She is in remission, He is the ultimate healer). And a few Charlie Brown ornaments, and the Nine Ladies Dancing Precious Moments ornament (the only PM I put up this year).

Our tree isn’t one of those perfect Better Homes and Gardens trees, but it’s imperfectly perfect , which seems so fitting this year. Our house isn’t completely decked to the hilt, and it won’t be, but it will have the perfect amount of decorations. Jesus is here. And He’s moving in our lives, so what more do we need.

I hope that your Christmas is perfectly imperfect, just like you. And may you find Jesus in your imperfection.

God loves you. And so do I.

Isaiah 9:6
For to us a child is born,

to us a son is given,
and the government will be on his shoulders.
And he will be called
Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God,
Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.






Comments