Recommended reading... and my 2013 reading list

Since it’s the almost my birthday, also known as New Year’s Day in some parts of the country… a lot of people make resolutions. Part of resolutions is that people start them crazy. Like trying to run a marathon at sprinting speed, and unless you’re a Kenyan, you’re not going to make it. You’re going to drop out about one mile in, if you make it that far.


I’ve been praying about fasting, and what I should do, how I should start… I’ve prayed and decided that I won’t be juice/veggie fasting starting in January. I will be starting in February. I would like to pass on some books I would highly recommend, and I will tell you what I have planned for 2013.


Excerpt that I typed out from
You're Already Amazing in Chapter 10
By Holley Gerth
The first book I’d like to recommend is “You’re Already Amazing” by Holley Gerth. You can get it on Amazon, Barnes and Noble, and probably any store really. I can tell you, this book is so great! It helps you to realize the greatness God has created in and for you! It helps you to overcome lies that the enemy speaks to you or that you speak to yourself.  I typed out so many of these amazing affirmations... they are all over my house :)

Because I love my family, and I love this next book, almost everyone in my family got this one from me this Christmas… 1000 gifts by Ann VosKamp… sooooo good. One way to make sure that you have joy in your life is to be thankful! This book was recommended to me by my friend Jessica! She’s amazing and I was so thankful! You know what’s funny, I had already purchased it on my nook, but I ended up getting it in the audible version so I listen to it on my way to and from work.

I love love love the book The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein. This is a fiction book that is so good, I think I read it in a week (which pretty good for me, I’m super busy). It’s told from a dog’s perspective, which I thought would be really weird, but it’s not. There were things that we just don’t see but others see… it’s really good!

Two of my faves that were written by people who are just plain inspiring… The Poor will be glad by Peter Greer & Compelled by Love by Heidi Baker. Read them. You’ll want to change the world (if you already want to change the world, these will make you get your running shoes on to start!)

All that is Bitter and Sweet by Ashley Judd. This one I ordered because I love biographies and I really like Ashley Judd. This book was amazing! I thought it would be about the Judds, but it really is about Ashley’s life and the impact on the world she makes with PSI (Population Services International).

If you are looking for a great daily devotional, I would recommend Jesus Calling by Sarah Young. I have this on my Nook, I really enjoyed this devotional and feel like every day when I would read it, Jesus really spoke to me.

I also really like the book Live Loved by Max Lucado, it’s a compilation of a bunch of his books. Knowing you are loved by God gave me such bravery to go and love others.

So… are you wondering what is on my list to read in 2013?

The “do what you can” plan by Holley Gerth. 21 days to making anhttp://youversion.com/y area of your life better. I’m excited about this! This is going to be a good year for me, and I think that I might be reading this one more than once, and working on many areas of my life. (it’s not available until Jan 1, but you can preorder on Amazon and Barnes and Noble)

Greater by Steven Furtick. This one scares the poop out of me! Last time I read a Steven Furtick book (and everyone I know who read Sun Stand Still) fell under spiritual attack. But I’m not afraid of the enemy, he’s a defeated foe.

Praying Circles around your children by Mark Batterson. This one has come highly recommended by many.

I am also doing the Youversion reading plan 5 x 5 x 5. It is 5 minutes a day, 5 days a week, 5 ways to dig deeper. I’m pretty excited about this, and it will give me plenty of flexibility to read other books in the bible and to study the bible more.

Comments

Ruth Chowdhury said…
Thanks, Margie! I just got the kindle version of Jesus Calling since you recommended it. I'm gonna check some of the others out as well. :)