Burning the lies!

There are things in our lives that we need to give up. In 1 Kings 19 God calls Elisha, and Elisha makes the choice to go forward in the life that God had called for him. We all have a call on our lives, and by we I mean you and me.


1 Kings 19:19-21 19 So Elijah went from there and found Elisha son of Shaphat. He was plowing with twelve yoke of oxen, and he himself was driving the twelfth pair. Elijah went up to him and threw his cloak around him. 20 Elisha then left his oxen and ran after Elijah. “Let me kiss my father and mother goodbye,” he said, “and then I will come with you.”

“Go back,” Elijah replied. “What have I done to you?”

21 So Elisha left him and went back. He took his yoke of oxen and slaughtered them. He burned the plowing equipment to cook the meat and gave it to the people, and they ate. Then he set out to follow Elijah and became his servant.

There are things that we need to get rid of for the life that God has called us to.

Most of my life I have encouraged others believing that God had great plans for everyone else. I had hoped that He had great plans for me too, but I believed that I wasn’t good enough, that I surely didn’t deserve to have a greater plan. I believed lies that I wasn’t good enough to ever even succeed, because after all, I have tried at things and they were hard, and I didn’t perservere. There were things I tried and it just didn’t work out for whatever reason. My dreams seem so big that someone as small as me could accomplish something so big, and so world changing.

Who would ever listen to me? What words could I ever say that people would even take seriously? No one would ever choose me anyway, so how on earth could anyone listen to me about being chosen?

Well, the truth is no one would listen to me, but the words that God gives me, those words, will be listened to.

We talked this weekend about burning the plows that keep us from Jesus and His greater plan for us.

I have been thinking so much about what should I burn? I think the thing I need to burn is the lies that I have been spoken to me and I believed my whole life. Those lies have had such an impact on my life, things I didn’t even realize.

I have been working on identifying the lies, but not only that, I have been indentifying them and “unbelieving” them. I am choosing to believe the truth and it’s really changing my life. God has delivered me from some big stuff in my life, He chooses to love me right where I am at, and He loves me too much to leave me that way.

It was an incredible weekend. There were so many times that I could have reverted back to some old yucky fearful behavior, but instead, I spoke life into myself. Love, Joy, Peace, Patience, Goodness, Kindness, Gentleness, Faithfulness, and SELF CONTROL! (Gal 5:22-23). I don’t have to believe that I was the person that I once was, I am not defined by brokenness, I am not defined by my choices, I am not defined by my actions. Sure those things are a part of my history, good and bad.

I am defined by a God who loves me. Who is in me!

I am CHOSEN.

That’s what I choose to believe.

Col 3:12-17 12 Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. 13 Bear with each other and forgive one another if any of you has a grievance against someone. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. 14 And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity.

15 Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful. 16 Let the message of Christ dwell among you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom through psalms, hymns, and songs from the Spirit, singing to God with gratitude in your hearts. 17 And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him



Comments