"Chicken Business"

I made chicken soup on Sunday. I know it’s earth shattering news. Oh wait. Just kidding.


But the crazy part is that I made it with organic chicken instead of the stuff that I normally buy from the store. You know that scum that has to be skimmed off the top? Didn’t happen with the organic chicken. That really blew my mind. Seriously. What they heck are they putting in our chicken that it rises to the top and has to be skimmed off. Gross.

It made me think about the stuff I feed my soul. What am I putting in that does me harm? What am I putting in my soul that comes bubbling to the top that is harmful to others? What am I putting in that no one else sees? And may never notice, but it is harmful to me.

Wow.

I know that buying organic chicken is a lot more expensive than the “normal” stuff at the store, but it tastes better, it’s not filled with “stuff” it has less “chicken business” (that’s what my friend Katie calls chicken fat, grizzel, weird veins. It means I have to go out of my way to go to Trader Joes instead of going to Aldi, Meijer, or Kroger. It means more work. But whenever I do it, it always seem worth it. It tastes better, I feel better.

It’s the same way with the stuff I put in my life. Sometimes it’s easier not to read my bible, or spend time with God, I’m so busy, or I don’t do my “homework” or I don’t read things that will help with my healing. I turn the radio on instead of my Rhapsody. I can easily be swayed back into old habits of getting frustrated because I’m singing the “Meme” song makes the scum of my life come right to the surface once a little “boiling” happens.

Now, if I didn’t ever have to deal with another person or do another thing, I wouldn’t have to worry about that whole boiling thing, but I do, and I love people, and God has and is putting amazing people in my life, Barnabas, Paul, Timothy. I’m so thankful for the friends God sends.

I have a lot of great friends, my scarf sisters, my friends from church, my "normal" friends, I am one blessed girl!  Recently, I have joined up with  this amazing group of women, the God Sized Dream Team, and it’s been so amazing to encourage, be encouraged. I didn’t even know what to expect, and I’m kind of glad I had no preconceived notions, because it’s been nothing short of FABULOUS! They are like the star shaped noodles in the chicken soup I made the other day!

I’m thankful for the “good stuff” that’s going in, and the yucky stuff that’s coming out, because really, who wants to hold on to stuff that you’d skim off the top if you had the chance.

I know that things might seem hard in my life sometimes, and I sometimes stand there for a moment thinking “oh, I don’t know if I can do that” and then I remember Luke 12:48 to whom much is given much is required.

He loves me enough not to leave me the way I am…

Zech 13:9 This third I will put into the fire; I will refine them like silver and test them like gold. They will call on my name and I will answer them; I will say, ‘They are my people,’ and they will say, ‘The Lord is our God.’”

Comments

Kristin said…
What a beautiful comparison! LOVE this post and am so very grateful that we have "met"...and love even more that we share a common struggle...and yet have a common hope. I can't wait to hug you in person some day! :)
Jada's Gigi said…
Awesome!! Here's to skimming that junk off the top....until there really isn't any bubbling up.