Sweet Memories




Me (wasn't I a muffin?!), my gram, and grampa


April 4 was my grandpa’s birthday. As I got older, my gram and I would go to the cemetery and lunch. Life seemed to slow down for a minute those days. I’d find the grave marker and then come get her to help her around the bumpy grass. It seemed only right that I help her as she helped me so much growing up. And if we didn’t make it then, we’d go for “Decoration Day” which my gram meant “Memorial Day” but she called it “Decoration Day”



My gram's 88th b-day party
with the grands

She taught me how to make the perfect tuna fish sandwich. Prepared “to go” snack bags for me when I’d go to visit her, containing a banana, a crunchy granola bar, a bag of fritos, and a candy bar (bit size). She taught me that when you leave the house, you put on lipstick, and honestly, I always feel better when I have lipstick on, even if I have no other makeup on.

She taught me to make her famous (or not so famous) orange jello. She taught me how to dead head marigolds so that you get more blooms than just the original ones. Lilac bushes belong outside your windows so that spring air blows the fragrance of the beautiful flowers in to your house, bringing back sweet memories of playing with dolls and having tea parties.


My mom, nana, Aunt Janie, Gram, my sister

She taught me the importance of naps and rest (though clearly I don't listen that well). The reverence of the Catholic church, it’s tradition is beautiful, and how to look up songs in a hymnal. She taught me to love shopping, and spending other people’s money, and how to find a good deal!

The past days have brought up some yucky memories, but I don’t live in those memories, they have no power over me. I am redeemed and forgiven. So today, I will share with you sweet memories of my Gram, a woman who probably prayed over me more than I’ll ever know, and a woman who said to me

“I have loved loving you”

Comments