Faithful

I was on my way to work this morning after stopping at the bank and I drove by this woman who was homeless. You know I’ve got issues with people who aren’t really homeless but stand at the side of the road and act like they are, it drives me crazy. But clearly this woman was homeless, she was in the shelter of a doorway in a building. She wasn’t asking for anything, she was just trying to stay dry. We will start to see more and more homeless because it’s warming up and so they aren’t staying places to keep warm.



My view today on my way to work

Anyway… I went to McDonald’s and got her breakfast. I wasn’t sure what it was that she’d want (is it weird that I thought that??) I got her a biscuit sandwich thinking it would be easier to eat than an Egg McMuffin because sometimes homeless people have teeth problems (oh the weird facts I know) and a coffee and a coke.

When I dropped it off to her, she looked at me like I was a weirdo (well, she might have been homeless but she was spot on with that one!) and I wasn’t there for longer than 2 minutes I think but it seemed like I spent a long time with her. I gave her coffee and coke, and gave her the food. She actually wouldn’t take the food from my hand, so I set her food on her “home” and told her that Jesus loves her and told her about a soup kitchen for lunch and dinner.

I drove away and cried thinking about this passage of scripture

31 “When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit on his glorious throne. 32 All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate the people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. 33 He will put the sheep on his right and the goats on his left.

34 “Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. 35 For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36 I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’

37 “Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38 When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39 When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’

40 “The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’

41 “Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. 42 For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, 43 I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.’

44 “They also will answer, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?’

45 “He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.’

46 “Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life.”

I thought about how I’ve been praying to be in step with God, that I would see Him in my every day.

I don’t know about you, but sometimes I get so wrapped up in what I am going to do in the future, I forget about today. I am chomping at the bit to start the non-profit, and buy a building and fix up a building and hear children run around but honestly I forget to serve right now. And I don’t tell you this because I want you to think about what I can do… but what God can do. Yesterday I was planning and praying about The Detroit Mission Trip that I didn’t think about my own city (I HATE THAT ABOUT ME!!) . I wonder how many times I miss an opportunity to serve right now, because He does call us to do small things and will later trust us with bigger things. (Luke 16:10 “Whoever can be trusted with very little can also be trusted with much, and whoever is dishonest with very little will also be dishonest with much.) And even though I am not always faithful, He is.  And I'm thankful that even though I miss opportunities to serve Him, He blesses me with new ones.

I want to tell you, I am was in adoring the sky the today, and God took my focus off the sky and on to one of the most beautiful things He created, that beautiful woman. And I mean it, she was absolutely beautiful (and she was missing teeth – good choice on the biscuit). I am thankful for the God moment this morning, I am overwhelmed by His grace and letting me serve Him.

If you can’t feed 100, then just feed one ~Mother Teresa


Comments