Happy Father's Day to my dad!! I'm thankful!

Tomorrow is Father’s Day… and I’ll tell you a secret, my dad was no Ward Cleaver but thank heaven he wasn’t Dan Conner either…


He was kind of a white Fred Sanford.

I’m super thankful for my dad. He did a lot for me and taught me a lot…

My dad taught me never to give up. One way he taught me this was by teaching me to ride a bike. I fell, I got back up, my dad would hold the back of my seat until it was time to let go. Dad’s instinctively know when to let go. And when I’d fall, he’d be there, give me a hug… and tell me to try again. (this example will be relevant tomorrow when I start running again).

My dad taught me the all important lesson of always putting the rice in the pan and then adding the water with the measuring cup. If I do it the other way, the rice sticks in the measuring cup.

Thanks to my dad for taking me to see Santa. One year he took me and I had a hole in the knee of my jeans (I was clumsy, most of my jeans had holes in the knees). It didn’t matter. He just knew it would make me happy and so he took me (I still remember my gram making a big deal about that stupid hole).

My dad taught me how to cook. He taught me how to organize a meal so that the guests or people who I am cooking for don’t eat cold potatoes and warm gazpacho. He taught me not to be afraid in the world, by not being afraid in the kitchen. I make the best chicken noodle soup because I am fearless in the kitchen, but let me tell you… I’ve thrown away some of the most disgusting chicken noodle soup in order to learn to make the best!!

My dad is a really good grampa.  He was always super loving and fun to my girl, and now that he has 4 other grandkids, he is the same way with them! 

I loved having a boat in our lives. I’m so thankful! I know that it was a sacrifice but I had some really great summers and even now, when I start getting overwhelmed, my heart longs to be by the water.

My dad also took me all over the city of Detroit, and I really love the city. I can find my way around all the city, and that also has to do with the fact that my dad taught me direction. I can typically figure out where I am by figuring out North, South, East, and West. I am so thankful for my sense of direction, it’s actually got me out of a few tough spots.

My dad also taught me to never give up on love. He was a single dad for a long time and I am sure he wanted to find someone to spend the rest of his life with, but he also had me so I am sure it wasn’t easy… My dad met an amazing woman that he would marry ;) and they are so cute together and honestly, I couldn’t have asked for a better stepmom or grandma for my girl.

I’m so thankful for my dad for so many reasons! He is and was a great dad and I’m thankful!!

Comments