Staying on course


Yesterday was one of “those” days. You know those kind that start out pretty good, then something happens out of our control and they get a little stinky. I’m thankful for a couple things, most importantly prayer. I prayed for others, I prayed for myself. I am also thankful for good friends who talk me off the ledge.


I opened my youversion app and listened to the bible, then listened to a couple podcasts from our College Ministry Unite. Our college pastor has an amazing gift of speaking God’s word, and one of our elders preached a sermon as well, I listened to that one on the way home.

Not long after I did those things (the things I know to do) I started to feel better. I felt God’s presence around me and soon my circumstances didn’t matter. Joy.

After work I stopped at Whole Foods, which is one of my favorite places on the planet, even though I can NEVER find a parking spot in the parking lot and I have to park in the structure. Which… by the way… is free. And I had to check myself about complaining about walking to a high end grocery store 100 feet longer than if I parked in the parking lot. Oh, shut up Margie, that’s nothing to complain about… 1st world problem.  I had to thank God for that parking garage and the fact that I can shop at that grocery store! sheesh!

On a side note, you know I have issues with giving those fake homeless people money that are on the side of the freeway. But I’ve really been convicted lately about being such a jerk. (I yell at them and tell them I know they are not homeless – yes… I really do that!!) what can I say, God is working in me. I can’t imagine that God is all that proud of my behavior… and so I know that I need to do something about my attitude, and God being God told me I needed to give… But the bible doesn’t say that I have to give money to them, but it does say “For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in,” (Matthew 25:35) so I started carrying Nutrigrain bars (Aldi brand of course!) So I am feeding… because Jesus says to. Obedience.

Anyway, back to what I was writing about… I was driving and all of a sudden… it started pouring down rain… moments that I could barely see right in front of me. I was thankful that it didn’t last long and there wasn’t anyone around me. Well, wasn’t that a picture of the morning? I couldn’t see much except the rain that was falling around me. I just kept going. Moving forward. Just like this morning. I didn’t stop, I just kept going, doing what I knew to do.

The bible says in Matthew 5:45 45 that you may be children of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous

I say that not to say that I am the righteous, though I am righteous because of Jesus not because of anything I have done. I am certainly not perfect but sometimes yucky stuff (like a stupid rock in your windshield when you’re driving) happens when I am focused on Him, and doing (or not) things I should (or not) do. Our circumstances are just that. Circumstances. We don’t always get a choice in what comes our way, but we do get the choice in how we react to circumstances!

It’s going to be an amazing summer! But lots of rain will probably fall around me all summer and after….

I’m staying on track, keeping connected to God.

Comments