Love is not accidental

There’s a song called “Accidentally In Love” by Counting Crows. I happen to really love this song, it reminds me of Sami Jo in RoVaSi Chorale. It makes me cry just to think of the years of music programs I was privileged to sit through and how I’d cry (I always sat in the same spot) so Phyllis would know where I was. I remember in Sami’s senior year when Phyllis and sat together and sang “Irish blessing” right to me and I sobbed and sobbed (I’m crying right now).


But I was just listening to “Accidentally in Love” song and it’s the silliest of songs. I mean how do you fall Accidentally in Love? I mean come on. I mean maybe some people do, but I think love is deliberate. Maybe I don’t just accidentally love. Maybe for me, I am passionate about love. Sometime ago, I fell in love with someone as I found myself chasing her to make sure she was safe, I remember just praying as a I was running, “Please God, don’t let anything happen to her”. That love was not accidental. And I never met the girl in my life. But clearly, God put her in my path, it was not accidental.

In my cubicle at work, I have tons of quotes, pictures, one of them is this:

Passion is a gritty kind of love, tough and optimistic enthusiasm that overcomes negativity and inconvenience to make it through to the end. (see picture) it says Sarah Saenz because I copied it from her Facebook, but she copied it from somewhere else.

It may seem that love comes easy for me, but it doesn’t. It’s important to me so I go the extra mile, and sometimes I’m tired. And sometimes I just have to love me and say “no more” and just “be".  I work at love. I choose to live love.

Today I let go of someone I loved. I loved us both enough to say “goodbye”. It was hard. But it was necessary, because sometimes love is hard. And in order to move on to the next thing that God has for us, we look at it fondly, we put it in our memory box, and we say “good-bye” because that’s what’s best. Not always easiest, but best.

So I don’t think love is ever accidental, I think it’s a choice, it’s a choice to choose to serve and love someone else more than we love ourselves with a perfect Christ like love. It’s hard and gritty…

And worth it.

1 John 4:7-19 7 Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God. Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God. 8 Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love. 9 This is how God showed his love among us: He sent his one and only Son into the world that we might live through him. 10 This is love: not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins. 11 Dear friends, since God so loved us, we also ought to love one another. 12 No one has ever seen God; but if we love one another, God lives in us and his love is made complete in us.

13 This is how we know that we live in him and he in us: He has given us of his Spirit. 14 And we have seen and testify that the Father has sent his Son to be the Savior of the world. 15 If anyone acknowledges that Jesus is the Son of God, God lives in them and they in God. 16 And so we know and rely on the love God has for us.

God is love. Whoever lives in love lives in God, and God in them. 17 This is how love is made complete among us so that we will have confidence on the day of judgment: In this world we are like Jesus. 18 There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love.

19 We love because he first loved us.

Comments