Beauty in all things

Perspective is a crazy thing.

When the team left on Wednesday, I cried. And I cried. I thought of situations that had happened, and I thought “hmmm” I probably could have handled that better. but we don’t always see things the same way when we are in the thick of it.

I am at a beautiful hotel with an incredible view. When I see Haiti from here, it looks beautiful and there is no sign of devastation. It is much different from the view that I had last week. From where I sit today, it’s houses, and beautiful mountainside. From where I was last week, it was a weird smell of sadness and an unrelenting hope. I don’t know how else to explain it.

From where I sit today to compared to where I sat last week, the beauty really is no different. I met someone yesterday from New York. He is here to do a story about what is happening to the money that is being sent to Haiti. I wouldn’t even want to guess at how much is being sent, and how much is not getting to where it needs to be. I don’t even want to begin to think about where that money is, it will make me crazy.

In America, we have the perspective that money will change everything. We send money, it fixes things. But Haiti is not a leaky roof that needs repair. Sure, money is needed to fix things, to provide materials, but God calls us to go. He says go, and He says “do it all, everything in love”. We can’t throw money at things like we throw DS’s and iphones at our kids and think it’s all going to be ok. God created us to be relational beings. He created us to love.

Being in Haiti reminds me that while I must be a good steward of my money, to use it to move the kingdom forward, it is important to love, to really invest my time and my heart into the things that matter, even if there is a risk at getting hurt. I posted the other day that I often don’t risk love because there is a risk of being hurt. That is no way to love. Imagine, if I completely let go, if I said the sky is the limit, great risk will have great reward.

World changing.

Not just for the people around me and that I come in contact with, but for me, that my bucket would overflow. And then someone else’s bucket would overflow… and so on and so on.

I know I’m filled to be emptied again.

Perspective. Let me perspective always be one of thankfulness, love, and beauty, no matter what my view.

Comments

Becky said…
like