Making good choices

One thing I need to get better about is using what I have when an event comes up. 

Of course there are some things I make that people always ask for...
Mac&cheese 
Ham rolls
Salsa
Cupcakes
Baked potato salad

I've had people over for dinner to save money and have spent twice as much on dinner that I would have spent if i went out because I didnt plan well. My pantry and freezer weren't stocked up.

Currently my pantry is pretty empty. Every so often we go through and clean out/eat up the pantry. It's time for restocking and watching for sale items (& organics)

I found a recipe today by the pioneer woman for brown sugar oat cookies! They looked deelish! I was wishing I had Haitian vanilla... Oh but let's face it, I wish I had all things Haitian lately... The great thing about this recipe is I almost always have all the items required to make the cookies! 

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2013/08/brown-sugar-oatmeal-cookies/

I am dreaming about going to Haiti 3 times next year. It means I have to make better financial choices. It means making choices about what's in the pantry, or better yet something  from the garden that I prepared for the winter.

Even though I like to shop and I love to serve others by cooking them fabulous meals. Well, I think it's more fabulous to make things that are in my budget and then I can serve two things, the people I love here, and the people I love in Haiti.

Life is about choices. Maybe not every choice seems like it has eternity in mind but maybe it does...

Today I'm making some side dishes for our eb family dinner...

Things from the pantry...

Salsa (home grown tomatoes & jalapeños)
Refried beans (I canned them, and I'll "refry" them myself)
Spanish rice (from a stocked pantry)
Shredded Cheese (purchased on sale)

It's silly. I know.

Living with eternity in mind.

Sending love!

Comments