Stupid book ;)

So... I was afraid to read the book "seven" by Jen Hatmaker. Lets face it, I don't want to "simplify" my life because its just going to get harder.

Let me explain...

Less excess means I need to cook more, grow more veggies, I can't buy a bunch of stuff I don't need.

Well, I like eating out. I like having door to door organics deliver fresh fruits and veggies to my door (carbon footprint shmootprint) and I like to shop (can you say "Target").

I like to have my car washed (I haven't washed my own vehicle in years - maybe almost a decade - gasp!

It was going to be hard to read this book and not be affected by it. I often say "stupid seven book".

So when do I decide to read a book that was going to challenge me about excess? 

In Haiti 

What am I a nut job?

Spend less so I can give more?!

The very thought of it sounds delightful until I actually have to put it into practice.

Stupid seven book. (Said with a wink and a smile)

But here's the thing... 

There is a song by Jesus culture that says "won't relent until You have it all, my heart is Yours".

So many times on the mission trip God said "give more, generously". Maybe by the standard of others I give, well, generously. But if I'm not giving my all, then it's not generously enough. 

Oh boy. 

This is gonna be painful. 

Hopefully it will only hurt for a minute.

Stupid seven book ;)

I haven't decided to what degree I'm going to implement this in my life... But something is about to happen. 

Stupid friends who told me about this stupid book ;) 

Thank you, for real. It made me laugh and cry and changed my way of thinking .

If you haven't read it, read it.

Stepping closer to Him

7: An Experimental Mutiny Against Excess
http://amzn.com/B006O34NKK

It's only $3.99 today (August 20)

Comments

Becky said…
not gonna buy that stupid book. there is another one out there that is quite amazing-written by richard something something. he was a amish preacher, i think. i read that-rocked my world.