We are going to make it Wednesday!

We’re gonna make it… and it might be on potatoes!

I’m not here to pretend I know it all! I am not a whiz who lives on $2 per month but there are somethings that I do to save money over the winter, feed my family real food, and help me to stay on budget. And please note, when I cook for soup kitchens, I don’t get an added amount to my food budget, I do it by watching for things on sale, cooking food that is seasonal.

Seriously, I’ve never met a potato I didn’t like. Well, the instant kind in a box but those aren’t even real so they don’t count.

One of the ways I save money is that I buy potatoes in the fall in 50 pound bags. I bet you’re thinking “that’s a lot of potatoes!” you’re absolutely correct! It is a lot of potatoes, and it lasts me a long time! My favorite potatoes are red skin or those Yukon yellow kind, mostly because the skin is so thin you don’t have to peel them to make mashed potatoes, or potato salad or whatever… and I do buy those… but sometimes in order to save money, ya’ (and by ya’ I mean me!) gotta peel a potato!

Our local farm market, Blocks, has Michigan potatoes for $8.99 for a 50 pound bag. Do the math people, that’s $.18 a pound! I put them in the basement but any cooler dark place is perfect for storage and I use them when I need them. Also a tip from Mary Ostyn from her cookbook Family Feasts for $75 a week.

http://www.amazon.com/Family-Feasts-75-Week-Penny-wise/dp/0848732960/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1382539747&sr=8-1&keywords=family+feasts+for+%2475+a+week

I will probably buy one more bag this weekend so I am sure to have potatoes all winter long, and yes, I realize that’s a lot of potatoes… but we like them, we eat them… and God made them!

I love supporting local businesses & local farmers!

I’ve added some links to recipes!

We’re gonna make it!

Yummy HINT! When making mashed potatoes… Throw a garlic clove in while boiling the potatoes and mash it up with the potatoes, butter, milk (I use sour cream), it takes it to a whole new yummy level!

Here is a cheezy potato soup recipe for the crock pot!

http://realmomkitchen.com/3839/cheesy-potato-soup-in-the-slow-cooker/

You can make this… but if using Michigan potatoes or potatoes with a “thicker” skin, I’d recommend peeling the potatoes

http://christdrivenmom.blogspot.com/2012/02/baked-potato-salad.html

OR this yummy delight!!

http://ilovetosharerecipes.blogspot.com/2010/11/keilbasa-potato-chowder.html

oven fries

http://www.owlhaven.net/2012/02/17/recipe-oven-fries/

Comments