Breakfast Burritos

Often my best recipe ideas are born out of ingenuity! Surely I am not the inventor of breakfast burritos, but I was trying to think of a way to supply everyone in the van would be able to have a yummy breakfast. We were leaving early (earlier than most of the peeps would normally be up!), so I wanted to make sure my peeps were well fed.

After much thought…

Breakfast burritos.

Thought about the things in my pantry, my fridge, and a minimal amount of things I would have to purchase.

Eggs, sausage, onions, green peppers, red skin potatoes, and Monterrey Jack & Pepper Jack cheese.

Sounds delicious, right?

My daughter was happy that day too because as she left for work, she got one too!

There were some left overs so I threw them in the freezer, and we warmed them up for the rest of the week. I got a cute little comment from my girl “Mom, if we have stuff to make more breakfast burritos, can you make more, they were good”

I had already been planning on making them, just a different combination of yummy goodness.

This week, I had some chorizo so I decided to add some of that… breakfast burritos are forgiving yummy goodness.

This week’s burritos consist of the following:

Hacienda Whole Wheat Tortillas (http://haciendadegutierrez.com/)

Eggs (from Aldi)

Chorizo from Honey Bee Market (http://www.honeybeemkt.com/)

Black beans that I canned myself - I will never buy organic beans from Whole Foods again, they were not as good as the guy I get my black beans usually… lesson learned (http://www.hampshirefarmsorganic.com/)

Onions from Blocks

Zucchini, Green peppers, and tomatoes from a vender in Eastern Market (http://www.detroiteasternmarket.com/)

I had Havarti cheese slices from Aldi, so I used that instead of buying something.

I was able to make 11 burritos (Phyllis ate one before she left for work)

I freeze them wrapped in aluminum foil and then remove and warm up in microwave and eat on my way to work. Because of the many veggies they can be kind of drippy I wrap them in paper towel when I eat them on my way to work.

So… that’s my exciting breakfast for the day.

I like that I control the items that go in our food, it’s cheaper to make them myself, and just plain yummier!

From my house to yours <3>
Psalm 146 (has nothing to do with this post, but I really loved it this morning!)

Praise the LORD.
Praise the LORD, my soul.
2 I will praise the LORD all my life;
I will sing praise to my God as long as I live.
3 Do not put your trust in princes,
in human beings, who cannot save.
4 When their spirit departs, they return to the ground;
on that very day their plans come to nothing.
5 Blessed are those whose help is the God of Jacob,
whose hope is in the LORD their God.
6 He is the Maker of heaven and earth,
the sea, and everything in them—
he remains faithful forever.
7 He upholds the cause of the oppressed
and gives food to the hungry.
The LORD sets prisoners free,
8 the LORD gives sight to the blind,
the LORD lifts up those who are bowed down,
the LORD loves the righteous.
9 The LORD watches over the foreigner
and sustains the fatherless and the widow,
but he frustrates the ways of the wicked.
10 The LORD reigns forever,
your God, O Zion, for all generations.

Praise the LORD.

Comments

Pat said…
I really hate to make breakfast so these would be great for me. Just freeze a bunch and warm and eat in the morning. Thank you!