Giving thanks!

Yesterday I was driving to work and I was thinking about thanksgiving. I wish I cooked on Thanksgiving because it would be so much easier for me if I just cooked for everyone and they came to me. I am blessed to basically have 3 families. Mom, Dad, and Stepmom’s. Honestly, it’s nice to be loved but trying to get to see everyone on holidays can be stressful. Thankfully my dad’s family meets at some point over the weekend (this year it’s on Saturday) so that just leaves going to Mom’s and Stepmoms. In years past we’ve gone out of town, we’ve stayed in town… I just try to make it work the best I can and hope that everyone understands.

I’ll be honest, I wish it stresses me out more than I’d like to admit. I just can’t be in two places at once. I remember one Christmas when I was engaged that we went to 4 places in two days. Christmas eve – my mom’s side & his parents’ house, Christmas day – My dad’s house and then to his mom’s brothers. Ohmyword, I swore I would never do that again. Everybody was tired and it seemed like no one understood how hard it was to balance. Well, I was right, I never had to do that again ;)

I was listening to SmileFM (I think) on my way to work and there was a contest going on that was flying people home for the holidays. This one woman hadn’t seen her dad in 6 years.

WHAT??

6 years?

If it meant I had to walk, I could not go 6 years without seeing my dad. I’d take back pop bottles, sell plasma, sell candy bars, whatever it took to see my family. I literally call my parents on Sundays and say “are you having lunch today?” and crash their party LOL.

I am thankful for the way God changes my perspective. Instead of worrying about how I am going to get to two places this Thanksgiving (and my baby girl has to work until 7), I will enjoy my time with my family, whether it is an hour or 6 and I will be thankful! And I’ll talk to Phyllis, maybe we can watch a movie or something together on Thanksgiving night (Or Charlie Brown’s Thanksgiving) and I will call myself thankful.

1 Chron 16:34 Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good; his love endures forever

Comments