The waters of forgiveness

You know when you get hurt and it heals, but the scar remains? How that area can seem tougher than the skin around it? But underneath, it’s actually more tender. That the scar tissue below the surface actually hurts MORE.

Those scars remind us not to do whatever we did before to hurt ourselves. They are constant reminders. There is a song by Papa Roach that has a lyric that says “our scars remind us that the past is real”.

I’ve actually been singing that since yesterday which is kind of weird because I don’t really listen to that song unless it happens to come on the radio… and I hardly ever listen to the radio… so… it’s kind of weird. The lyrics of our lives.

Scars can keep us from repeating the same behavior over and over again, because they remind us that we can get hurt. But forgiveness… it may still leave the scar, but the tissue below doesn’t hurt.

Forgiveness leaves the scars of wisdom.

I find myself swimming in a sea of forgiveness. God’s grace surrounds me. Forgiveness reminds me of summer. Those hot hot days when you just can’t stand it. And then… just when I think I can’t stand it anymore, I get to jump in the water (maybe it’s the way I remember my childhood). And that initial reaction when the water is a shock to my body. Almost like I don’t know what to feel, I just know I feel… relief and then I realize how great the water truly is… and I would tell you (and my dad would agree) that I never want to leave that feeling of the water, of grace and forgiveness.

Water is the first place I visit when I am stressed or out of sorts. The smell, the sound, it reminds me, that God is good.

I find myself in a place when it’s time for forgiveness, it’s time for His grace. It abounds. It is time for me to dive in and remember.

I am thankful for His grace and forgiveness, I am in need of it every day

John 4:14 but whoever drinks the water I give them will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give them will become in them a spring of water welling up to eternal life.”

Comments