We're gonna make it! Iced tea!

Well, I missed "we're gonna make it Wednesday" but I thought I'd pass this crazy savings technique to you.

It’s no surprise that I drink a lot of iced tea. I love it! My favorite from Starbucks is a Trenta Black Tea light water no sweetner (because I’m sweet enough) with a splash of Passion. At one point I was drinking at least on a day, but probably on average I drank 10 per week.

A cost of $31.30 per week**

$125.20 per month (based on a 4 week month)

$1627.60 per year

That’s a lot of money.

That’s a mission trip to Haiti.

That’s more than 16 mission trips to Detroit.

I do still get Starbucks. Once or twice a week.

But to be honest, I’ve found something better. And cheaper. (and faster).

Every Sunday I prepare for the week. Yes, I know it’s nerdy, but you survive how you survive, and I’ll do what works for me.

I line up 5 or 6 1qt mason jars (this number depends on how many are clean at the moment, we use mason jars for EVERYTHING now)

Each jar get 5 tea bags.

1 Tazo black tea bag (this is my favorite black tea, I really like the flavor)

1 Tazo Passion tea bag

3 Target or Aldi brand tea bags (MUCH cheaper than Tazo)

I have found that I don’t need 4 Tazo tea bags to get the flavor I like, 1 will do it. So I get all the caffeine at a fraction of the cost ;)


I fill the canning jars with hot water. Let them cool. Top them and put them in the fridge, and each day, I grab one, put it in my bag and head off to work. Each canning jar yields 3 Trenta size cups once I add water to dilute (the tea in the jars is STRONG!!). I drink 3 cups per day.

If I base the full cost of the jar vs. the cost of just one cup per day…

Cost savings per cup: $2.57

Cost savings per week**: $ $25.72

Cost savings per month: $102.88

Cost savings per year: $1,337.42

That’s a lot cash savings in a year… we are going to make it!

**based on 10 per week

Comments