Passion



Passion is a gritty kind of love, tough and

optimistic enthusiasm that overcomes negativity and inconvenience to make it

through to the end. (10,000 Reasons Overflow)


Thursday, November 14, 2013

We're gonna make it! Iced tea!

Well, I missed "we're gonna make it Wednesday" but I thought I'd pass this crazy savings technique to you.

It’s no surprise that I drink a lot of iced tea. I love it! My favorite from Starbucks is a Trenta Black Tea light water no sweetner (because I’m sweet enough) with a splash of Passion. At one point I was drinking at least on a day, but probably on average I drank 10 per week.

A cost of $31.30 per week**

$125.20 per month (based on a 4 week month)

$1627.60 per year

That’s a lot of money.

That’s a mission trip to Haiti.

That’s more than 16 mission trips to Detroit.

I do still get Starbucks. Once or twice a week.

But to be honest, I’ve found something better. And cheaper. (and faster).

Every Sunday I prepare for the week. Yes, I know it’s nerdy, but you survive how you survive, and I’ll do what works for me.

I line up 5 or 6 1qt mason jars (this number depends on how many are clean at the moment, we use mason jars for EVERYTHING now)

Each jar get 5 tea bags.

1 Tazo black tea bag (this is my favorite black tea, I really like the flavor)

1 Tazo Passion tea bag

3 Target or Aldi brand tea bags (MUCH cheaper than Tazo)

I have found that I don’t need 4 Tazo tea bags to get the flavor I like, 1 will do it. So I get all the caffeine at a fraction of the cost ;)


I fill the canning jars with hot water. Let them cool. Top them and put them in the fridge, and each day, I grab one, put it in my bag and head off to work. Each canning jar yields 3 Trenta size cups once I add water to dilute (the tea in the jars is STRONG!!). I drink 3 cups per day.

If I base the full cost of the jar vs. the cost of just one cup per day…

Cost savings per cup: $2.57

Cost savings per week**: $ $25.72

Cost savings per month: $102.88

Cost savings per year: $1,337.42

That’s a lot cash savings in a year… we are going to make it!

**based on 10 per week

No comments: