A lesson in communion

Communion is a big deal to me.

It might seem like it's just bread and juice to some people but to me it's a big deal. I've never been officially asked to ever set up communion at our church. It's probably a good idea. I'm not really the decorating type. But I have to tell you, I was absolutely sooooo honored to be asked!

So seriously I got a little stressed out over this. Crazy right? Well, let me explain a little. 

When I cook for events I don't cook for people, I cook for Jesus. I don't think that they won't care about this or that, I think "Jesus will love this" and that's why I don't have to taste what I cook all the time. And after many years Of experience, I know what it's supposed to smell like. 

I went and bought the bread and juice and prayed over it.  And thankfully our church has an amazing decorating team who has all the stuff to make things pretty. So... I just kept praying and at one point I asked God "why me?" Because there lots of people in our ministry who could have done it... Why did Quin ask me? You could have spoken anyone's name on his heart.

"because it's a beautiful thing for you to surrender all the things you're not good at to Me"

I almost wept ( I did choke back some tears).

It's easy for me to surrender my life to Him to let Him choose my path. My money (it's His anyway), cooking, whatever. And honestly I do a lot of hard things to get closer to Him, to be more like Him. But to do an action like putting my decorating (or lack there of) skills on display for others to see, was a stretch. But God uses that, and makes it beautiful. And He gives is everything we need to complete it. 

What a beautiful lesson. Thank You Jesus for communion and all the ways my heart is changed by it.

For I received from the Lord what I also passed on to you: The Lord Jesus, on the night he was betrayed, took bread, and when he had given thanks, he broke it and said, “This is my body, which is for you; do this in remembrance of me.” In the same way, after supper he took the cup, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in my blood; do this, whenever you drink it, in remembrance of me.” For whenever you eat this bread and drink this cup, you proclaim the Lord’s death until he comes. So then, whoever eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of sinning against the body and blood of the Lord. Everyone ought to examine themselves before they eat of the bread and drink from the cup. For those who eat and drink without discerning the body of Christ eat and drink judgment on themselves. That is why many among you are weak and sick, and a number of you have fallen asleep. But if we were more discerning with regard to ourselves, we would not come under such judgment. Nevertheless, when we are judged in this way by the Lord, we are being disciplined so that we will not be finally condemned with the world. So then, my brothers and sisters, when you gather to eat, you should all eat together. Anyone who is hungry should eat something at home, so that when you meet together it may not result in judgment. And when I come I will give further directions. (1 Corinthians 11:23-34 NIV)

This was my four stations set before Him


Comments