Taco bars & dump cake!


This isn't my taco bar but i love it!

Once a quarter we have an amazing staff meeting (the meetings are amazing and the staff is amazing!!)

I am blessed that I am able to serve them by making them lunch.  Last month I literally wore myself out…  For awhile all I ever made was taco bar so for the last few months I’ve done something different.  Once it was lasagna, last month it was a soup bar (I’ll never do that again, that was sooooo much work), I’ve thought about doing a baked potato bar… but this month I decided to go back to the old tried and true taco bar.  


Taco meat (I use ground turkey)
Refried beans         
Black beans
Cheddar cheese
Lettuce
Sour cream
Rice (I buy this because I am just not that good at making it)
Salsa
Olives
Nacho  cheese
Flour tortillas
Tortilla chips

Isn’t that easy?  Duh!  I mean, I make my own refried beans, I don’t buy canned (mostly because I think they don’t taste as flavorful and it’s cheaper!), I shred all the cheese, and make my own taco seasoning but still easier than any of the other things.  It’s easy to serve those who are vegetarians and gluten free without any extra work.  Duh!  Someone remind me of this next time I decide to do something “different”.

I also decided to make dessert really easy for myself… and made old school dump cakes for the group.

I made cherry, blueberry, apple, peach, and even one GF version!

For the Gluten free one, I did Pamela’s chocolate cake mix with cherry pie filling and butter.  (since my GF friend took the whole thing home, I assume it was yummy)

Here is the basic recipe:

DUMP CAKE
 
2 cans of pie filling (BLUEBERRY IS MY FAVORITE!)
1 20oz can crushed pineapple, drained
1 stick butter
1 yellow cake mix

Preheat over 350*. Mix pie filling & pineapple, put in 9X13 pan.  “dump” cake mix on top.  Top with butter that is cut into pads. 

Bake 35-45 minutes.

You can top with ice cream or whipped cream. 
 
For the Gluten free one, I did Pamela’s chocolate cake mix with cherry pie filling and butter.  (since my GF friend took the whole thing home, I assume it was yummy) – I chose chocolate because the others were yellow cake and it was easy to distinguish

I also did 3 cans of apple pie filling and topped with spice cake mix and 3 cans peach pie filling and yellow cake mix (which one person really raved about – and I laughed because it was SOOOO easy – especially since last time I made peach cobbler it was a mess – we had peach cobbler soup!!)

Lesson in this… make life easy on yourself…  sometimes those old tried and try things… are everyone’s favorite!

Comments