Future hopes and dreams



I love shopping.  I love spending money, I love blessing people with gifts, I love eating out.  At some point in my life I ran out of time, but got more money.  And sometimes I wish I had more time but I never wish I had less money ;)

I’ve come back from Haiti with a different perspective and new goals for my future.  I don’t even know how to get there.  And like most things, I look to the bible.  And I am also thankful for amazing teachers in my life.  So trying to figure this all out, I’ve spent more time in my bible, more time writing, more praying.  

When I am about to make a decision, whatever it is, I go back to a teaching that Katie did on one of our winter retreats… it was based on a book by Andy Stanley “the best question ever”.

Is this the wise thing to do, based on my past experiences, current circumstances, and my future hopes and dreams?

And when I ask myself that question and really stop to think about it, even about the things that are going to come out of my mouth, it really does make a difference.  

Do you know that I haven’t purchased a Starbucks since I’ve been back, and actually haven’t eaten out since yesterday (and my friend completely blessed me and bought my dinner) so I have not spent money.  When I think about how much money I have saved because I have not “wasted it”.
I normally drink 2 or 3 Starbucks a week, I normally eat out a couple days a week.  That’s easily $50.  It’s amazing how much money in little increments can go through my fingers.  I mean even getting my car washed and cleaned out… that would be $20 for something I can do myself.  I just think I could do a lot more with that money than drink it or eat it especially since I have food and drink at home.

I don’t claim to be perfect and everyday seems like it has it’s own difficulties but staying close to Jesus means I can get through it.

What are your future hopes and dreams?   What’s your plan to get there?  I’d suggest you ask yourself that question.

Psalm 119:105 Your word is a lamp for my feet, a light on my path.

Comments