There is joy in the serving!



I honestly didn’t know how it was going to go yesterday.  In the past one of my favorite days of the month is the day that I serve at ‘I am My Brother’s Keeper’ (MBK).  Our church goes and brings a meal and serves with another church.  It’s an amazing night.  When I leave I am exhausted.  And typically my face hurts from smiling so much.  

I always get there early and have my time with Ernie (and Leon when he was there).  We talk, share, laugh.  It’s always a nice time, and I actually feel robbed when other people come in and distrupt our 30-45 minutes of time.  I feel like its my time.  Lol, I am so selfish!

But the problem is…  and this is where I am jacked up…  I come home from Haiti and the need in America is much different than the need in Haiti and I sometimes have a hard time.  But God didn’t just  call me to serve in Haiti, and after all, I do love serving people, especially feeding people.

So I prayed about what we serve at MBK, and last night it was meatballs & gravy, noodles, cheese potatoes, green beans, and dessert. YUM!  We served almost 1000 meatballs!  WOO HOO!  I prayed about serving, God you called me to serve here, let me remember that I am serving You, and only You.  I looked forward to serving all day, I kept saying “It’s my favorite day of the month, 3rd Tuesday”.  I walked into the church and asked for help (because I always bring TONS of stuff when I come) and about 8 perfect gentlemen helped me carry all my stuff (they are always SO helpful!!!) and as I walked into the “gym”, I saw him, Ernie, standing there at the door waiting for me, and I tell you, I was smiling from my toes!  Home.  

Ernie and I went to our “normal” routine, getting everything ready (we are a great team).  I am sure he thinks I’m a nut job but he puts up with me, we talked like we normally do, he wouldn’t even let me carry the big pot of water for the noodles!  He is good to me!

I have to tell you that I know that some people might serve at MBK, and feel like they are doing some great charity work, but for me, it’s a place where I am with people I love, serving people I love, and mostly serving Jesus.  I left MBK with this amazing feeling that I spent my evening with Jesus. 
I can’t wait for next month… praying about what we are going to serve… wondering… “Jesus, what would You like for dinner next 3rd Tuesday?”

James 2:14-17 14 What good is it, my brothers and sisters, if someone claims to have faith but has no deeds? Can such faith save them? 15 Suppose a brother or a sister is without clothes and daily food. 16 If one of you says to them, “Go in peace; keep warm and well fed,” but does nothing about their physical needs, what good is it? 17 In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead.

Comments

Unknown said…
I've only been twice, but I have a great time too. Who knew that helping to serve and doing dishes, especially with my boy, could be so awesome! I'm in the city quite often, hopefully making a difference, and it's only because of God. He has called me to it as my "Jerusalem." Thank you for all you do!