Nothing for granted


I keep pictures and notes in my bible. My bible looks like something I might want to trade in for a newer model. One with a beautiful new binding that has crisp new pages but I love my bible and when it got put in a box packed away after the winter retreat I found myself PLEADING to God to return it. Maybe for too long I took for granted that bible. That it's pages were something I had a right to turn, not just turn but to read. Maybe the convenience of my bible on my phone made it just too easy. When that bible came up missing I thought I'd lose my mind. 
I could bring a smaller bible or just download it on my phone, but i bring it with me because it's my favorite and I promised to never take it for granted.

When we got to Haiti I couldn't help but smile. I mean most people in the airport are crabby, hot, annoyed by immigration, oh luggage claim... But me... Dorky cheesy big smile.  I'm in my second home, it's like my Disney world without... Well without everything. Don't call me selfless. I bring toothbrushes and arrange pb&j, I pack flip flops and clothes for those in need. You'd do it too if that's what God called you to do. I love Haiti, I love giving, I love shopping, I love organizing, I love seeing people I love, I love sharing this joy and love with others, how on earth can I be selfless. I am a voice to stand and defend those who need help, and that my friends is a pleasure not a burden. 

I lay here thinking I have 6 more days to overflow my heart to make sure I don't forget how beautiful the sky is, or the perfect shade of brown each of the muffins are, to feel the sun in all it's magnitude (and it is hot), to drink in waters nourishing qualities. I have 6 days to be on the most perfect place on earth (for me), to spend it with people I love. 

I'm so happy to lay on this crazy air mattress, looking at this perfectly blue sky, snuggled in with the Word of God.

Comments