Sword of the spirit - lessons in a stabbing

When I first became a Christian, I had a friend who lead the high school Sunday school. She had invited me to come or maybe I invited myself but whichever it was, I will always remember it and it was such an incredible lesson to learn and really seep in because really there are so many attacks against us.

For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. (Ephesians 6:12 NIV)

I have been thinking so much about words and how they harm others. I am thankful that when someone really hurts me I try to think about what my part in it was. I pray and seek God to reveal truth to me, and in that I pray that He reveals ways that I may have hurt others in the same way so that I won't continue with such behavior. That may seem weird to some but God gives me great wisdom in those times. It's a blessing in the middle of pain. It becomes a Romans 8:28 moment for me.

And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose. (Romans 8:28 NIV)

In Eph 6 it says about the sword:
Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God. (Ephesians 6:17 NIV)

The sword is part of the full armor of God. The Word of God. It is used for speaking life into the hearts of others, it is a beautiful love story that God has written to us.  It is sweeter than any love letter you'll ever get from a lover. It brings light and love to the darkest of places.  God stitches His love into our hearts and in my life it seems verses that my mind may have forgotten come right out of my heart.  I love how He does that!! It's a secret weapon I sometimes don't even know I'm carrying ❤️

I'm thinking so much of words, truth. Thinking of speaking them to myself and to others.  We can say things that people need to hear with being mean or harsh, and when we speak truth to people, even if it's hard to say, we must remember we must earn the right to be heard in their lives, and we earn that right with LOVE.

I'm so thankful for the lessons I've learned through the pain that I've had. It's caused me to pursue Love, to really hear what God has had to say in my life and to my heart. It has shut the mouth of self doubt, ugly pride, and left me with a clean heart, washed by my own tears that went seeking after the tears and blood that was shed for me by my Savior. 

Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, with whom you were sealed for the day of redemption. Get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice. Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you. (Ephesians 4:29-32 NIV)


Comments