The friends God sends

Mission trips are a funny thing.  They can really change your life and you can meet people that you never knew before and become instant family.  Now don’t get me wrong, they can also make you crazy and want to really lose it because you get to know people a little too well.  The funniest thing to me about mission trips is that (at least on my trips) we talk about poop A LOT.  Are you going? Are you going too much? Is it too fast or too slow? If you know what I’m saying…

Sometimes on mission trips you find unexpected treasures…




Insert Nikki and Curtis.

Now, you’d probably never think that we would even go to the same church, let alone be friends, and then add to that, we genuinely like and truly love each other….  we are all VERY different.  You can only imagine my face when I opened their wedding invitation of zombies…  oh boy. 

When I found out on my trip that they were coming I was like “oh boy” and they were nervous about it too (I can be a “little” high strung… and they are NOT).  But somewhere in time, our hearts joined.  I just really love them.  And I love that they love Haiti.  I pray for their long term goal of going to Haiti and that God open doors wide for them.  I pray for His provision in their lives.   And I pray that their hearts be open, and that He protects them so they never feel the need to build their own walls. 

They came over for dinner yesterday with the cutest gift for me, a frame with two pictures, one of my girl Maxie and me.  It meant the world to me!  My daughter said that Maxie really is mine, we do the same thing with our eyes when we are making silly faces.  

I think we see the best in each other.  I know they see the best in me, I’m on mission and just as God created me to be.  Just living love.  And I love that they get that it’s hard for me to be “home” because they know what it’s like to have your heart bent towards Haiti. I'm thankful that I can trust their hearts to hold mine. I am thankful that I can trust them with my feelings and know that they won't share them, they will just listen and love me.  I am also thankful that Curtis protects me (it seems that God has been showing me so much lately that I don't need to fight, that He sends His angels to protect me).


Nikki and Curtis… I loveyou, I am thankful to God for bringing us together.  I’m thankful to call you friends! I can totally see A vision of us serving long term together in Haiti! Loving muffins!!

Comments