Uncluttering!



My basement looks like an episode of Hoarders (ok maybe not that bad).   It’s awful.  I am blessed beyond belief by people who believe in the two “causes” I love the most, Detroit and Haiti.  And unfortunatly I can’t take everything, every time to go to either places. I literally pray about what I should bring when I go to Haiti or to the places I serve in Detroit.

Right now, it’s a cluttered mess.  Which is a direct reflection of what has been my cluttered heart.  In the last few months I have been searching and studying God’s word, listening to the still strong voice that guides my life.  But prior to this time that I have spent with Him, I have taken things that I didn’t want to deal with or just didn’t seem to have the time and I tucked them away.  And in the last few months, I have unpacked those things and filed them deep in my heart where they go, or gotten rid of the pain that they have caused.  It’s a time of simplifying my heart, so there is more room for the One who it should it contain.  When there is a bunch of garbage, there isn’t enough room for all the places only He should occupy.

My basement has become a dumping ground for things, lots of things.  And to be honest, there are things that still need to be put away from the Detroit Mission Trip in June.  Bins and boxes scattered about.  And it’s been driving me crazy, and it’s time to deal with it all.  Time to purge the things that are in that basement that need to go, things that there is no reason to hang on to any longer.  It’s time to simplify.  I am not moving any time soon, but if I did…  would I want/need to bring this with me?  Those are the questions I will be asking myself tonight.  I will also start putting things in bins and labeling so that they are ready to go to Haiti or Detroit in the coming months.

It’s time to unclutter my life and my heart.  I thought I’d had this time of quiet and slowing down, and dreaming and reading, and cleaning and decluttering.  It seems I am finding more of the me that God created me to be.

Psalm 51:10 Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me.

Comments