Finding in peace in letting go



Yesterday was the 3rd Tuesday of the month, which means it was time to make a meal for My Brother’s Keeper.  It’s one of my favorite ways to serve Jesus.

In the past I have always had the craziest biggest plans for dinner.  I’ve always had this attitude that our meal has to be the best meal they have all month.  To the point of craziness.  To be honest, as much as I love serving them a delicious meal I’d push myself to a point of exhaustion, and something that I loved would cause my heart to be overwhelmed.  I cared so much about what everyone else thought. 

In the past couple months, God has slowed my heart so much. He’s changed my focus from everyone else to Him.  And loving God is simple, it’s when I change my focus to anything else, it just gets… well crazy.

So last month, I made mostacolli.  I have always prayed about what God wants me to bring, and I follow through, but sometimes I tend to take it over the top (imagine that) but the last two months the direction has been to keep it simple and so that I have and both times, it certainly has been beneficial.  Simple meals and everyone has really loved, one guy even came up for thirds yesterday and all it was just Chili-Mac… but they loved it!  (and the funny thing is that since I never follow a recipe – I’ll never be able to make it that way again HAHAHA!)

I think that sometimes I make things way too complicated.

I love a church in Buckley, MI (the Tabernacle), they have a mission statement:

Love God, love people

I really doesn’t get any simpler than that.

And loving God means following Him, and being obedient.  Sometimes it’s doing things that are difficult and that we are afraid of.  The fear of being heart broken, the fear of letting people down, the fear of the unknown.  I remember one time when I was struggling with something I didn’t like, and I said to a friend “it sucked but at least I knew what I was up against” and my friend simply said to me “I understand it’s hard, but right now, it’s the devil you know versus the devil you don’t, just stick to the way that you’ve been lead and it will all work out”.  I made that decision based on being lead by God and I’ll never be sorry about that.  And even though it was hard, it was worth it.

Every decision should be able to be made that easily.  Follow God.  What does He say?   What does 
He say in prayer?  What does His Word say?  What is the feeling that I have in my spirit?

Following God helps grow the peace in my fruit.  I don’t get angry about things, my attitude is a lot more “go with the flow”, I actually have to try to be a control freak, I don’t spend my time trying to control things or make them happen, I, of course plan and prep, and do the hard work in order to be successful, but it is to honor God and for that reason only.

I’ve never had such peace in my life,  and I’ve never noticed so many people with a lack of peace in their lives, and it has changed my prayer life.  I pray often that they will learn to let go, trust God, and learn to rest in His peace.

It’s a process, it’s not easy, but it’s worth it.  Living Simply.  Loving God.

I love the harvest of fruit

Comments