Lettuce wraps

If you know me you know that this is my absolute hands down favorite cookbook!!  I give it away as shower gifts, I give it away because I love people... it has GREAT recipes and helps show how to keep a budget on track, and so... that's how it works with me!

Yesterday I was going through the recipe book to make something yummy for dinner... and decided to make Gramma's chicken and mushrooms (which is YUM!) and found this recipe for Thai Lettuce Wraps, which sounded delish and I wondered why I had never made them before!  and you could make them low--carb if you are into that sort of thing by leaving out the rice!  This is my adaptation of the recipe.  And they were absolutely yummy and I wondered why on earth I have never made them before!
Prep time: 20 minutes
Serves:6 or more 
Ingredients
  • Romaine lettuce (but you could use any leafy green you like)
  • 2 carrots, grated or minced
  • 1 onion, minced
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 lb lean ground turkey
  • 1-2 T soy sauce (we use g-free - and not all soy sauce is g-free you must check)
  • splash of rice wine vinegar (recipe did not call for this, i just decided to through it in)
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1 c cooked rice 
  • sliced up small cucumber to add to lettuce wrap - you could add any fresh veggie you have)
Preparation
Wash chard or lettuce leaves, shake off extra water, and set aside in a bowl. Shred carrot, onion, garlic, and any other veggie that you desire using a food processor. Cook ground meat in a large skillet with a little slosh of sesame oil, if you have it. If you are using ground turkey, you will probably need a tablespoon or two of oil as you cook it.
Once meat is cooked, remove from pan and cook chopped veggies in the remaining oil until soft. Return hamburger to pan and mix with veggies and a good slosh of fish sauce or soy sauce (probably around 1/4 cup). Add a cup or two of cooked rice, if desired. Salt and pepper to taste. Cook over medium heat for a few more minutes, til ingredients are well mixed and heated.
Serve by wrapping leaves of chard or lettuce around several tablespoons of meat. Let people take their own lettuce and their own serving of meat/veggies and wrap 

Comments