Here I go!!

So I've been preparing to leave for haiti for... Well for months, I pick stuff up at the store, I'm thankful now that I have a bin full of clothes that is specified for missions, I could honestly pack for haiti in less than two hours notice. It's become old hat to me. Easy peasy. I think that's good.

I also have to prepare my always clean self to the fact that I'm gonna be really dirty, really hot, and at times pretty hungry. I'm probably not going to sleep well, I'm gonna cry, I'm gonna wish for ice like I was a homeless Eskimo. It's all true. I never feel more high maintenance than when I'm in haiti as much as I like to pretend I can go with the flow. Dégagé 

You know what I never get used to? The way God moves in my heart while I am there. There are things I can never ever prepare for. He's a mighty God and He never ceases to amaze me.  When I first went i knew it was gonna be hard. I knew I'd be stretched, I just really never knew how very much. I didn't realize what would happen in my heart when I was there and especially didn't understand how it would be when I came back. For example when my daughter went to Colombia the first time she came home and didn't want more clothes because she had enough and people there lived in houses made of what our cars are made of. In my mind I guess I understood it but really my heart didn't. Until I went.
There hasn't been a trip that I haven't had immense joy and immense growing/hurt. One thing I've learned is that I must have the right heart before I leave. 
When I go to Haiti I spend a lot of time with Him. I try to get up before everyone else and just be still. It never really looks the same each day.  I wait with great expectation of what will happen in my heart.
I can't wait to go (4 days) and enjoy a place I never thought I'd love, it's gonna be wild, it's gonna be full of Him.

Comments