A to Z Faith - Obedience



Obedience is greater than sacrifice

1 Sam 15:22 But Samuel replied: “Does the Lord delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices
    as much as in obeying the Lord?  To obey is better than sacrifice, and to heed is better than the fat of rams.


There have been many times when I have been asked by God to do something, sometimes it’s a big thing and sometimes it’s something as simple as me sending an text or a message to someone I love, saying “loveyou”.  When its hard, sometimes I say no, but then I know that whatever God is asking me to do is for my own good, or the good of others.
April 2014 , God told me to tell Adam (The Youth  Pastor at my former church) that I’d no longer be doing Youth Ministry at Alive.  I actually laughed.  No way, I told Adam I’d serve with him in Youth  Ministry until Zion graduated, he’s 3 now.  Then in July 2014 my friend Katie (Adam’s wife) told me they were moving to Colorado. I laughed (after I cried)…
God had been telling me to take a rest period, which I did, starting in September…  and during that time, God told me he had different things in store for me, and it was time to leave metro.  And I then began church shopping.  Let me tell you, church shopping is not for the weak of heart, it is difficult, but I know that I belong at a church…  one that really is the church and reaches lost people, and I knew that where I would attend would be in the city of Detroit.  I visited a lot of great churches… and then at the end of my rest period, God lead me back to Courage Church (I’ve been going there off and on for years on Sundays).  He said “I didn’t send you there sooner, because I knew you wouldn’t rest.  LOL  God is funny, and wise.

Then it happened, Netta and I went out for a Diet Coke (well, I had iced tea because you know I don’t drink that diet coke stuff  LOL).  She notified me that her family had been lead to move to Lansing.  ARE YOU KIDDING ME?  As much as I’d love to say I said all the right things, I probably said something dumb.  What can I say, I am happy that I followed a pastor and his family that followed God, but what?!?  

So during a few really really really REALLY!!!!!! Hard days, I said “but God, they were part of the reason why I felt like I should make Courage my church Home, first Adam and Katie, and now Chilly and Netta, what the heck?” (Yes, sometimes I talk to God like that, my God is big, He can take it).   He simply said to me “do you follow them, or Me?”.  Gah.  I hate when He says stuff like that to me, because well, I’m a jerk, and I know the answer, but the truth is, for a moment, I just wanted to run back to Metro.  It’s comfortable, they love me (most of them), and I can serve there.  But I don’t follow people (clearly, because I’d be in Littleton, CO) I follow Jesus, so I won’t follow the Chiltons either.

So… fast forward, the new pastor and his wife start at Courage Church.  I have to say that even though I will miss the Chiltons, more than I could ever even put into words, and I’m a talker ;) I am excited about this new chapter.  

I have no idea what God has planned but I know that it will be great and full of Him!  I’ve never been sorry I followed Jesus.

Comments