Notes from the cleaning lady's heart

Sometimes on the days when we feel the most growth we open ourselves to feel the most hurt. I feel like most of the day I held back tears. Some of the time I was successful and some of the time... Not so much.

I was supposed to meet a friend for dinner but the plans changed... So like most lame people I went to the church to get it ready for Sunday. I normally clean on Thursdays but yesterday I spent my time in the sanctuary instead. And it was time well spent. 

Can I tell you there aren't too many things more humbling than cleaning a bathroom. Especially one that isn't yours. <yuck>

But that's what I do.

I'll tell you, there comes great thankfulness in cleaning a dirty church. Thanksgiving precedes the miracle (1000 gifts).

We have these stairs. Oh the stairs. I'm pretty sure that they are dirty 5 minutes after I wash them. No matter how often I wash them. But today, I found myself thankful for the dirt that was tracked in by the 100+ students and leaders that were here for 4 days. And for my own church family. 

The back stairs. That no visitors see (praise God for small miracles) it only takes 30 seconds after i wash them to look dirty! I swear the dirt particles sit on the railings and as I wash them, they wait for them to dry and then the dirt ascends on stairs like paratroopers. But our pastors use those stairs so I wash them :) I know it probably doesn't matter to anyone but me, but it's a labor of love. I'm thankful for them.

Did you know that the candy nerds are straight from the devil??? Ugh those little bits. I feel like I'm always vacuuming them. But... Those candy means children, and children bring life and love to our church, so I  thankful to vacuum them. 

And lastly, the kitchen floor. The dreaded kitchen floor. It's ALWAYS dirty. And I wash the whole dumb thing on my hands and knees at least once a week. But today as i washed it, I thought about our family who all shared a meal yesterday. What a privilege it is to gather and pray, to praise God in this place.

I never knew I'd love cleaning the church so much. Thanksgiving precedes the miracle. 

Praise God. 

(But it's ok to clean up after yourself) 

Comments