Passion



Passion is a gritty kind of love, tough and

optimistic enthusiasm that overcomes negativity and inconvenience to make it

through to the end. (10,000 Reasons Overflow)


Friday, July 31, 2015

Notes from the cleaning lady's heart

Sometimes on the days when we feel the most growth we open ourselves to feel the most hurt. I feel like most of the day I held back tears. Some of the time I was successful and some of the time... Not so much.

I was supposed to meet a friend for dinner but the plans changed... So like most lame people I went to the church to get it ready for Sunday. I normally clean on Thursdays but yesterday I spent my time in the sanctuary instead. And it was time well spent. 

Can I tell you there aren't too many things more humbling than cleaning a bathroom. Especially one that isn't yours. <yuck>

But that's what I do.

I'll tell you, there comes great thankfulness in cleaning a dirty church. Thanksgiving precedes the miracle (1000 gifts).

We have these stairs. Oh the stairs. I'm pretty sure that they are dirty 5 minutes after I wash them. No matter how often I wash them. But today, I found myself thankful for the dirt that was tracked in by the 100+ students and leaders that were here for 4 days. And for my own church family. 

The back stairs. That no visitors see (praise God for small miracles) it only takes 30 seconds after i wash them to look dirty! I swear the dirt particles sit on the railings and as I wash them, they wait for them to dry and then the dirt ascends on stairs like paratroopers. But our pastors use those stairs so I wash them :) I know it probably doesn't matter to anyone but me, but it's a labor of love. I'm thankful for them.

Did you know that the candy nerds are straight from the devil??? Ugh those little bits. I feel like I'm always vacuuming them. But... Those candy means children, and children bring life and love to our church, so I  thankful to vacuum them. 

And lastly, the kitchen floor. The dreaded kitchen floor. It's ALWAYS dirty. And I wash the whole dumb thing on my hands and knees at least once a week. But today as i washed it, I thought about our family who all shared a meal yesterday. What a privilege it is to gather and pray, to praise God in this place.

I never knew I'd love cleaning the church so much. Thanksgiving precedes the miracle. 

Praise God. 

(But it's ok to clean up after yourself) 

No comments: