making a real difference


Today I was driving over the 75/Rouge bridge (white knuckled) and I had this crazy revelation….  The reason I hate that bridge is because I LIVE ON THE WRONG SIDE OF IT!

This is frustrating to me.  I know people think I am crazy that I want to live in Detroit, people leave the city and I’m moving towards it! I know I have a time that I have to wait and that’s frustrating.  I know I have to wait but the truth is I don’t want to.  I’m like Veruca Salt in Willy Wonka, I want it NOW!

I was always driving today wondering when this all started… Was it cooking at a young age or did feeding people start when Adam asked me to do my first Fuel Fundraiser dinner.  I don’t know, but I will tell you I LOVE FEEDING PEOPLE! 

Two weeks ago I thought it would be really great to give cereal away once a month at the soccer field program.  And then I felt this stirring that I was thinking too small.  But you know a budget only has so much money in it, but I thought… well if it’s of God then it will happen. I  don’t know… I really don’t know how this stuff happens, it just does.  I get a dream in my heart and I pray about it.  And “somehow” it happens…  I shared my dream with my crazy friend Angela (on Monday the 18th), who is a couponer.  A Crazy couponer.  On Sunday the 24th, she found a great deal on cereal.  But 240 boxes of cereal at any price isn’t cheap unless it’s FREE!  So I asked 30 people to donate $12.  The truth is I had no idea if it would happen.  All I knew is kids have to eat and this was a great opportunity.  I got encouraging phone calls, notes, prayers, and money!

And I was almost “there” with the money so I asked again.  And bam!  There it was. This morning I needed 25 more boxes of Cookie Crisp, and 30 more of anything else.  The plan is to give out the same kind of cereal to each child, varying by week.  Week 1 – Cheerios,  Week 2 & 3 Lucky Charms, Week 4 & 5 Cookie Crisp, Week 6 Golden Grahams, Week 7 & 8 Cinnamon Toast Crunch.  It’s easier to give out the same kind each week, no disappointments…  I’m dreaming for free milk, and free bananas.  I don’t know how all that will come but I am believing it will.

I seem need everywhere.  And I see people blaming and highlighting but I don’t know how much all those people do. Elections are coming up…  and I don’t care what kind of label someone has republican, democrat.  I don’t care really.  I just want to vote for someone who cares about the people, the kids who don’t have food, the kids in foster care, the homeless, the people drinking lead.  I’m not interested in blame, because nothing gets changed with pointing fingers, what changes things is boots on the ground and hands that want to help.

I want to elect someone who thinks and acts like me who gets the impossible done because they know it’s not about them. I want to elect someone who donates $12 to feed kids cereal for 8 weeks when they come to play soccer. 

I don’t know what the answer is, but I will be there, in the trenches (DISTRICT 6!) driving over that crazy bridge, until it’s time for me to actually live there.  Until I will prepare and work, and count on God to handle it all.

 

Comments