A lesson in observing

Photo Credit: Woodside Detroit
 


I met this woman yesterday, “J” was beautiful.  She beamed.  She was stunningly beautiful.  She had the most beautiful baby in her belly, and a beautiful son name Jerimiah. 

I showed up at this “Shop Pop Up” to check it out.  I only expected to be a bystander, to check it out, to see how things were run.  To be an observer of how God was moving in the hearts of those serving and those being served.  That’s it.  Just observe.

And then it happened. She asked if someone could help her get the bag of things she shopped for.  If someone could carry her bag to the place she was staying.  She said it was two blocks away.  I honestly kept saying to myself “this is not your gig, stay out of it”.  LOL  However, there was a need and it needed to be met.  So I said I would carry it for her.  After about ½ a block, I realized WHERE I was walking to, and the realization that I was going to have to walk back BY MYSELF.  And God, whacked me in the head, “WHAT ARE YOU DOING? Don’t be stupid”.  Even she kept saying “are you sure, you’re going to have to walk back by yourself”.  So I got my car, and I found someone to go with me.  Because let’s be clear, we are called to help but not be stupid.

I can’t stop thinking about “J”.  I don’t know why.  But you know what I know, she touched my heart in a way that I don’t, at this moment, know why.  Her boy’s eyes were these beautiful brown saucers, his smile was sweet and hadn’t been tarnished by the world yet.  He had the most perfect teeth, and his momma loved him so very much, and that was apparent in his demeanor.  He knows he is loved.

J doesn’t have the greatest of circumstances (at least by world's view), she lives in a shelter, with one child and one on the way.  But her smile, I will never forget it.  She gets what she needs for her family, she needed a winter coat for her boy, and she got one provided by God by His people. She has the kind of spirit that I long for, that no matter my circumstances, I can smile and be thankful.  

I know that God loves me, and I know that He is good, no matter what my circumstances.  And I long to forever have a thankful heart that praises Him every minute of every day. 

I think it's funny that God sends me to do something like observing and I think it will have some kind of reflection, that I will learn some great lesson, but with an open heart, God teaches me something different, because I was willing to really look and see and to truly listen to Him speak to me. 
I will forever be thankful for that moment of just “observing” because I saw the goodness of God in all circumstances.

 

Comments

Unknown said…
You are the eyes to a truely Spirit breathed heart. Thank you for sharing to your first hand experience of Gods love for his people.
Unknown said…
You are the eyes to a truely Spirit breathed heart. Thank you for sharing to your first hand experience of Gods love for his people.