Growing




Have you ever been sick for a long time?  Like for such a long time that you can’t even remember what it felt like to be healthy? 


One summer (yes!! Summer!!) I was sick for like 6 weeks.  I went to the doctor twice (which cost me upwards of $350), the chiropractor (the only thing that really worked, I drank essential oils (I think they may have helped too) like they were water…  It was rough.  Seriously, I was miserable.  Each time I’d hit a milestone, I’d celebrate. And by milestone, I mean, breathing out of both nostrils at the same time…  Oh, a day without blowing my nose, LET’S HAVE CAKE PEOPLE!  And then after all that… I coughed for a month…  When I went a day without coughing, I broke out party hats and we celebrated with champagne.  (Ok that didn’t really happen!)

I have not been feeling well.  My heart has been a little sick.  But I think when my heart is just a little sick, it has a big effect.  You know it says in Luke 6, out of overflow of our hearts, our mouths speak.  When my heart is hurt, it actually starts to shut down.  It’s a defense mechanism, a protection.

I was in a place that I should have left.  Months ago.  But I stayed. I tried  to be joyful and bloom where I was planted but it was time for a transplant.  But I stayed, I was disobedient, I wasn't in a bad place, but just not in a place that was for me.  And in staying, I didn’t grow.  When plants are in small pots, they will only grow so big because their roots cannot expand, and roots make us strong.

I really was disobedient to God, and I couldn’t restore my joy, and I was wounded.  And just lately I have really started to feel better.    My heart is healing and restoration seems closer than further and that feels really great!

I stopped at the garden the other day (even though it’s not the greatest…  it’s one of my favorite places in the world!) and my heart was so very happy!!!  My little baby tomato plants that I wasn’t sure would ever get fruit, have flowering buds, the plants given to me are FLOURISHING and there is tomatoes!!  All the rest of the plants are growing and flourishing! 

I am astonished about the way that my heart is challenged and growing with this garden.  I mean there were road blocks, and crazy, and then the weather…  and how I am reminded that we should never give up!  This crazy garden has changed my middle name to “Perseverance”.  Just call me Persy I guess. LOL 

Romans 5:1-5 Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we[a] have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have gained access by faith into this grace in which we now stand. And we[b] boast in the hope of the glory of God. Not only so, but we[c] also glory in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. And hope does not put us to shame, because God’s love has been poured out into our hearts through the Holy Spirit, who has been given to us.

First the plants were stolen (really who does that?!?), then the 2nd round died because of drought, and that third round of planting was late BUT THE CHARM!  I tended to them, I even prayed over that garden, I asked for help (do you even understand how hard that was?!?), and it’s growing fruit!  Life lessons from the garden.  Every time I go, it’s joy, pure joy.  It’s because I am being obedient to God, and going and doing what He has chosen for me to do.

1 Peter 2:9 But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, God’s special possession, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light.

How great is that? We are not second choice to God, He has CHOSEN us!  And that is something!  When we accept that, and do as He would have us to do, we are full of joy and peace.  And it’s not always easy, THAT IS FOR SURE, but to get past ourselves, and humble our hearts to say “I just don’t know what to do, but Lord I’ll go wherever You ask, and I’ll do whatever You say” great joy comes. 

Moving on to living Love, wherever and however that is!

Psalm 119:165 Great peace have those who love your law, and nothing can make them stumble.

 

Comments