Lessons in the dirt

This garden... Last summer I really thought I was going to plant vegetables to help feed people, and God really taught me through the whole thing that the "community" part of a community garden was the most important part.

Then this year... It's been a crazy year. Plants stolen. Then the second round died in drought. And now... The third round of plants. 

Yesterday I stopped at the craziest looking place to buy plants. The neighborhood was a little sketchy but I thought I'd check it out. I ended up with 2 full flats of collards, added to my two free beautiful tomato plants and some basil. The guy even threw in some parsley for free ;)

Lately the verse Gal 6:9 rolls over and over in my heart.

“Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up.”
Galatians 6:9 NIV

I certainly have learned that the garden is more than just vegetables. And yesterday as I worked (and sweated) I listened to someone I love trust me with their struggles, and share with me about the love they have for others. 

This garden makes me feel like perseverance might be my middle name lol that it's true that it develops our character. It reminds me that as we love people and they hurt us or even as they hurt themselves that we just keep loving them right where they are at. That we don't give up on them. 

I'm reminded as my heart is healing and when I'm feeling a little disheartened, that God is faithful and we just need to do what He asks... Love people, really invest in them with our hearts, and maybe even plant gardens for the 100th time

Here I am, Lord, send me (Isaiah 6:8)

Comments