Bringing joy!


I started a new job in September.  Not only at a new place, but a new job.  I had been doing my previous job for a long time.  I liked it.  A lot.  But I knew it was time for something  different.  It was time to make the step up to Manager. 
Let’s face it, I am a doer.  I like to “do”,  I believe in leading by example. 

Coming to a new workplace is not an easy task.  It can be hard to make new friends, it can be hard to learn the culture of a workplace.  It’s hard.  I never understood until in 2012 I left my employer at the time (that I LOVED) and went to a new place.  It was difficult to say the least.  This summer I had the opportunity to do something new.  I actually hate “new”, if it were up to me, I’d stay doing the same thing, but… that’s not really how we grow, so I go.  A new place, a new job, new people.  UGH.  This kind of thing brings me more anxiety than I could ever even put to words.
But here I am almost two months later, sometimes struggling with what to do or how to handle something, and I love it.  I mean I LOVE IT!!!  I ask questions (which helps me to remember to be humble), I smile, I admit I need help, I try my best to lead in humility, but mostly, I bring joy! 
It’s a funny thing, all my experience, all my whatever, and the thing that I think makes me most successful is that I really care and love people.  I listen, I laugh, and sometimes I cry with them and for them.  Yes, I cry, because that’s who I am. 

This Christmas season (and the holiday of my birthday, and the others) I decorated our cubicle area, I got everyone stockings and have put some kind of treat in them every day.  Chocolate, cutie oranges, life savers, candy canes…  it’s been fun.  I even started the tradition of “elfing”people.
And today a woman in our office came over and thanked me for her “elf” gift.  Even though it wasn’t me!  HA!  But I did start the whole thing!  HEE HEE!  She said “it’s so nice to come to work and have things be so lively”.  It’s been so fun to bring joy and love to the office.   To bring a little bit of sunshine to our crazy lives! (It's really Jesus but they might not know it)

There are a few times in my life I don’t feel like I was born for this, it’s a struggle to not always fit in, and sometimes I feel like I totally rock out where God placed me!  I choose to focus on the days that I rock it out, to walk in obedience of what God has called me to.  Each step leads me to where/what He has planned, even if the steps are hard.
It’s a crazy life, but I LOVE it!!

Comments